Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my suspension upgrade pieced together for when I get back from my cross-country road trip to pick up the new (to me) '04 FXT.

I currently have:
2005 WRX sedan take-off strut assembly
2005 WRX wagon take off springs
2005 STI rear sway
2005 STI heavy duty rear sway mount

Need to get:
STI Lateral Links
Kartboy rear endlinks

What type of sag can I expect, so that I can order spacers accordingly, or will the wagon springs offset most of that?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
343 Posts
I'm getting my suspension upgrade pieced together for when I get back from my cross-country road trip to pick up the new (to me) '04 FXT.

I currently have:
2005 WRX sedan take-off strut assembly
2005 WRX wagon take off springs
2005 STI rear sway
2005 STI heavy duty rear sway mount

Need to get:
STI Lateral Links
Kartboy rear endlinks

What type of sag can I expect, so that I can order spacers accordingly, or will the wagon springs offset most of that?

Thanks,
Mark

Good question Stoney,
I have all the same stuff you just mentioned, but i also have STi springs as well if the answer(s) are vague.

Here is a post I started last weekend regarding springs on WRX struts as well as STi struts.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-vs-2-5i-vs-wrx-sedan-vs-wagon-springs-comparo-70746/

I was going to install the struts today with 3/8" spacers and WRX springs just to see what I ended up with.

I may actually do it tomorrow but for some reason, I am hesitating because I do not want to tear it all back down if it results in saggy butt.
I also do not have a spring compressor to switch out springs, but I think I am going to make a run over to Harbor Freight and see what they have.
I need some other things anyway so the 15 minute trip should be worth it.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,779 Posts
IIRC, there was a post somewhere about installing spacers without completely removing the rear struts. They just dropped the strut tops and slid the spacers in.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The general consensus is wagon springs have no saggy butt.....

As SuperRu suggests, fit them, if you aren't happy the normal slimline spacers can be dropped in on a 20minute job easily enough.

Simon

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
343 Posts
Well I just got finished installing the STi springs onto my WRX struts.
I decided not to use the wagon springs because from what I can tell by looking at all the springs side by side (pretty much just a guess) is that the STi springs are going to be a bit stiffer and provide a little better roll control.
I also wanted to get it down a bit more as well.
Tomorrow I am going to install the struts on my Foz and see where I end up.
I will be installing 3/8" butt spacers as well.

The only thing I did not do was cut the bump stops.
I hope I was not supposed to cut them?

Basically STi springs on WRX struts, and they are only a little shorter than normal WRX springs so we shall see.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I'm running STi springs with WRX strut bodies and 1/2" spacer in the back right now. The wheel gap is still more on the front, but I think that's just how the fenders are cut. I never measured from the ground to the bottom of the car so I'm not sure if the car is raked a bit, it could be.

Stan

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
343 Posts
I'm running STi springs with WRX strut bodies and 1/2" spacer in the back right now. The wheel gap is still more on the front, but I think that's just how the fenders are cut. I never measured from the ground to the bottom of the car so I'm not sure if the car is raked a bit, it could be.

Stan
Crap Stan, now ya got me worried if the 3/8 spacers are going to be enough?
Maybe I should just throw the wagon rear springs on so I don't have to do it twice.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it, every stock subaru has more wheel gap in the front. Use the spacers you have and see how it works out, rear struts aren't that hard to remove and reinstall anyway.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts