Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
We've gotten 2 separate Gates belts that had no marks on them whatsoever.
Yeah. Gates quality has taken a real nose dive over the past few years.
I won't buy anything Gates anymore, been burned by them too much.
Yuppp, ordered a gates timing kit the first time i did my impreza, one of the pulleys was seized right out of the box, and the water pump failed after 50k.

Gates is poop, if i go anything aftermarket i tend to stick with certain components from Aisin, or Victor reinz for more gasket related repairs.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Rich condition? Lol
Close, but in this case it was lean po171
I would have guessed rich also.

You have to follow the logic..
The reduced air flow first messes with the mass air flow sensor. Thats starting to screw up the math logic for fuel control.
The injectors give the fuel and it burns rich as the ratio of oxygen is low.
The air/fuel ratio sensor sees this and starts cutting the fuel pulse to the injectors.
But its to radical to fix so it keeps doing this over and over, but the short term fuel trim is still extremely heavy and the long term is also starting to reflect it.
Eventually the 2 numbers add up and it sets the code.
The car is saying, "I have leaned this out as far as I can and it's still not helping"

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
I'm confused. How is the MAF signal normally used? I thought it was used by the ECU to ensure the proper amount of fuel corresponding to the mass of air flowing in. Less air leads to less fuel, right? But in this example somehow the amount of fuel is unchanged by the low MAF signal? Obviously I don't know how this is supposed to work. Tried looking this up, but haven't yet found anything helpful.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts