Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
the special model STI

One of only 500 made, 75000. Dealer price.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So. A little lesson on do it yourself people.
I get it, a dealership is expensive. We charge a lot. You can do it yourself and save money...

A friend had an family emergency, grandmother passed away. Drove from Oregon to Massachusetts in her 2017 forester.
Uncle decided to save her some money, limited income people and changed her oil.

Yep. Wrong plug.

A 60k car needs a new transmission, about 9000. She is stuck on the east coast with a special needs child.

Even though Subaru has a 100k warranty and she bought the Subaru extended warranty, it dosn't help if the damage is caused by you (or a relative)

A dealership oil change is expensive, sometimes, but if the lube tech screws up, the dealership is responsible.
If the transmission dies without help from man, subaru fixes it.
For god sake, even Jiffy lube has insurance.
I dont like their insurance, they often want to put junkyard transmissions in, and that is a bad choice with a cvt unit.

On my own 17 subaru outback, I pass the work to another tech, to avoid any conflict in case something does go wrong.

Anyway, do it yourself has a risk..
Your gamble.

And here is a picture of my youngest pup.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Engine is here for oil consumption. About 30k. This is a direct injection engine. Amazing how much gunk build up on the intake valves.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The first flywheel was sent to a local machine shop to be resurfaced. Installed it had a light chatter. This is less than 1000 miles and those grooves are still visible. The other one is new, bo chatter

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Aftermarket parts.

A car was towed in. Had the head gaskets done at a independent shop.
No start. No spark. Brand new coil.
We checked the cam crank sensors, ok. Took out a Subaru used/marginal coil and plugged it in. Drove it into the shop.

Sometimes, saving money doesn't..

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
107 Posts
Engine is here for oil consumption. About 30k. This is a direct injection engine. Amazing how much gunk build up on the intake valves.

What are your thoughts on a Seafoam treatment every other oil change and a good old fashioned Italian tune up once a day? Is it better to use Subaru's carbon cleaner kit?

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
174 Posts
The first flywheel was sent to a local machine shop to be resurfaced. Installed it had a light chatter. This is less than 1000 miles and those grooves are still visible. The other one is new, bo chatter

I guess they figured that sloppy machining would just "buff out".

·
Registered
2008 forester x sports
9 Posts

Are new Subaru flywheels ground with a taper? Some manufacturers do it to stop chatter. Machine shop resurfaces them flat and you get chatter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fascinating. I do a lot of minor repairs and most basic maintenance. Was able to do a top end overhaul on a Chevy 4.3 V6 in our boat (reman heads, new head gaskets) but by comparison to Subaru or any modern car these engines are very simple to take apart.
We've had 2 Subarus, a '98 Legacy Outback we had 18 yrs and 186,000 miles and a '17 Forester now with about 38,000 miles. The '98 was good till about 109,000 miles then blew both head gaskets. Had dealer do repair, that plus all the oil leaks, lasted till 186,000 miles and blew HGs again. And, past 100K ran into a lot of other problems:
1) front wheel bearings, need press to replace, dealer cost approx. $500 per
2) cv axles, after these were done failed again in about 2 years, I think they may have used aftermarket instead of OE
3) water transfer pipe on top of engine leaked, had to be replaced
4) gas tank pipe rotted leaked gas on the driveway, expensive to replace
5) replaced knock sensor and speed sensors twice (this I was able to do myself with scanner)
6) misfire due to bad plug wires easy fix
7) radiator
On the new one all I do is oil changes, brake pads etc. Both are my wife's cars, I am a JEEP guy, still have our old '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that we bought at the same time as the '98 Outback, different repairs needed over the years but engine has never been touched, 180,000 miles, got a reman trans installed under Chrysler ext warrantee, had heater core done and AC evap done common Jeep issues for that model, the rest minor stuff I did myself (radiator, fan clutch, water pump, alt, p/s pump etc). Still drive this one at least 1x per week my main driver for myself now is the '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi. Fewer repairs than the '98 Jeep or '98 Subaru, but I know they can be troublesome.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
The forester coil spring issue.
Of all that I have done, we have only seen one set rusted

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
@Sackett
Hi Steve
The new spring appears to have a tighter / closer end loop; or is it upside down?
Upside-down. The new spring has a plastic cover on the bottom of the spring also

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
So, any guesses on what code this set?

101 - 120 of 125 Posts