Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to restore my street cred so starting a new thread with things I see in the shop.
Today's picture is the geared idler pulley in the timing belt. It is THE MOST FAILED PART in the timing belt system. I do not stress over subaru water pumps.
The one on the right was the lucky one. It failed and the valves hit the sweet spot and had no valve damage.
The left one was a trade in car that I bought. 2004 with 190k. Every valve bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Gates timing belts vs OEM. Gates has a good product but miss the mark for accuracy when placing the timing marks. I have seen one Gates almost a tooth off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1998 forester dual cam head removal in car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Forester Automatic
15 Posts
Do You Need Marks on the Timing BELT?

Thanks for all the great pictures, Sackett! They are great for me because I am new to Subaru and I like to learn more about the engineering of the car, and the engine in particular. I also like to do all my own maintenance. Sounds like you're a mechanic.

From your 1/15/2018 post:

Gates has a good product but miss the mark for accuracy when placing the timing marks.
I didn't know marks were used on the belt itself.

I thought the important marks for timing belt replacement are on the PULLEYS, not BELT. From what I know, you turn crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley to their correct position, lining up timing marks on the pulleys and the engine case, and then you thread the belt using the manufacturer's procedure, being careful to take up all the tension on the pulling side of the pulley. So what good do the BELT marks do? Are they just a double-check that the right number of teeth exist between pulleys?

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Just another layer of insurance. With good marks I only concentrate on the belt and pulleys marks.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok outback picture. 7 wires broken on the rear gate harness. Moderately common on outback not so much on foresters

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure why that is. I enjoy subaru and having marks on them..

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Timing belt tensioner. One of the worst I have ever seen. Note the leak and the "hit" mark on it.
Symptom: Obnoxious noise on cold start that would quiet up as car warmed up.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrx gear oil. Fluid was very low on arrival. Note the pearl like look? Metal in the oil..

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How to keep the timing belt on the left side during installation. The vice grips are not tight.

The second picture is how we put the pulleys on. Geared pulley first and smooth second. Double and triple check the timing marks than pull the tensioner pin.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
453 Posts
I can't count the number of people that scream at me for using vice grips on those left hand pulleys. It is by far the easiest way to do that, and if you aren't trying to hulk them tight it causes zero damage to anything.

Nice to see others using the trick.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use to have pieces of hose on the tips, but once again, there is no pressure on them.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today's gwhiz is a picture of the tire pressure monitoring system brain. Mostly located under the back shelf forward of the tire.
The point of this picture is the tpms brain is known to get moisture in it and corrode. On one car we could get three of the tire sensors to program but not 4.
Also notable is the tpms brain is also the key fob brain. Change it and reset the sensors and fobs. If you have a fob and tpms problems look here.
You can open it easily and inspect the circuit board for corrosion.
In this case while the unit has failed, I couldn't get the computer to talk with It, there was no corrosion on the board.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another 16 impreza. This is a body shop repair, it took a hit to the left and ft. Now, it's in for a check engine light, a code 0500 for a speed sensor. Now, most all the parts here are New, even the non castled tie rod end bolt. The computer shows no emp on the left ft wheel..

Non oem...

As we debate cost when repairing a car Remember, some aftermarket parts just do not work correctly. In this case, the aftermarket hub/bearing assembly is not correctly made to allow the sensor to see the bearings. On some cars instead of a reluctor wheel it looks for the bearings. Awaiting permission to replace the new hub

1 - 20 of 125 Posts