Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester X auto
838 Posts
GM branded cars from the 2000 to maybe 2008 are just crap.
The only cars that are less problematic, the G8 (killed), Camaro (based on the G8 chassis) and their flagship, Corvette are marginally ok.
Recently Saab line was mostly based on the Epsilon chassis that is the same as the crappy G6/Malibu...
At last, Saab is going back to its roots and hopefully to be a decent brand again....

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
The only cars that are less problematic, the G8 (killed), Camaro (based on the G8 chassis) and their flagship, Corvette are marginally ok.
Recently Saab line was mostly based on the Epsilon chassis that is the same as the crappy G6/Malibu...
At last, Saab is going back to its roots and hopefully to be a decent brand again....
Although SAAB's reputation from the old days was that of a "decent brand", I can assure you, after owning a '79 SAAB 900 and a '72 Sonett in the old days, that they were absolutely junky cars in terms of build quality and design of subsystems. Definitely interesting designs and they drove nicely, but nothing like modern Japanese or even modern American cars in terms of reliability.

George

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Turbo Manual
797 Posts
You've driven one then?

Saab were determinedly fighting for independence throughout the GM era. Like I mentioned earlier, they might have started with a Vectra floorpan for the 9-3 but they completely re-engineered it to suit what they wanted rather than just building a car on it. Just because GM's US-market models were rubbish it doesn't automatically follow that their European factories had the same problems.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
743 Posts
@cjecpa
at least 3-4 TURBO badges on that Saab :)

I was big fan of Saabs, 9-5 wagons or older 9-3/900 make me look again even today. It is so sad to see newer (GM era) models falling apart and neglected, mostly in hands of demographics that can't afford anything better...
What a change for a brand that had one of the most affluent buyers 20 years ago (at least in Europe)...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,411 Posts
My pops had a black 1981 Saab 900 Turbo with those same Inca styled wheels. Car looked very similar to the one pictured, but had the updated (or American) grille/headlights. That was a really cool car. Had it 1 year, traded it for a 1982 900 turbo sedan. Wasn't much of a fan of that move, but I was only 6 years old.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,787 Posts
My pops had a black 1981 Saab 900 Turbo with those same Inca styled wheels. Car looked very similar to the one pictured, but had the updated (or American) grille/headlights. That was a really cool car. Had it 1 year, traded it for a 1982 900 turbo sedan. Wasn't much of a fan of that move, but I was only 6 years old.
The car pictured is a 1978 SAAB 99. The 900 was a redesign with a longer nose and came out in 1979-not just for the American market. The rear body/hatch were the same, and I loved my '79 900 EMS for rolling a bicycle into. (The EMS was the turbo suspension but with a non-turbo engine.) If you want to bone up on stuff, google a bit of SAAB model history. (I am a lot older than you and was into the year by year changes.)

But as I mentioned, the car was really kind of shabby in terms of subsystem design and not particularly trouble free even though it was only 4 years old when I bought it in 1983. Nice personality and driving manners, but SAAB's were a bit weird in that they did not believe in using sway bars, so springs were stiff.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts