Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
132 Posts
Sad day... I always had a silent affinity for the SAAB brand. Not the bastardization that GM did to SAAB's product line with the 97x. Also, I wasn't necessarily pleased with the way that they treated the 92x either, but at least it was a good car to begin with. Oh well.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know a girl who just LOVES Saabs...no mater how many blow up, or lose all their dash lighting! I've always loved the looks of their Aero versions, but none have ever really made me want to buy one.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
My first turbocharged car I ever drove was a Saab 9000 cd. After that, I've always had a special place in my heart for Saabs. Especially the viggen and aero versions. Truely unique cars and ahead of their time with electronics and gadgetry(sp??).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Never really like Saab.....it was a styling thing for me, being an auto enthusiast I hate to see any car company depart the scene but if you can't make money.................

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never been in a Saab before. My mother was going to buy a used Saab hatchback (I think) a couple of years ago but got a used Toyota Camry instead. It's sad to see all of these car manufacturers go. Variety of cars is taking a hit it would seem.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
I've never been in a Saab before. My mother was going to buy a used Saab hatchback (I think) a couple of years ago but got a used Toyota Camry instead. It's sad to see all of these car manufacturers go. Variety of cars is taking a hit it would seem.

O I don't know about that. All the brands going down are just re badged something els.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Maybe Welcome to Magna International Inc. will buy it. They tried to make the purchase of Opel a while back but GM finally saw the companies potential. I think I read it somewhere that they were going to finance the purchase themselves. When you look at the articles link, wouldn't it be cool if they did an updated version of the first Saab prototype?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
6 Posts
Probably a Chinese company will now swoop in and buy it? Who was trying to buy it?
The last buy-out attempt was by the Chinese car manufacturer Geely but nothing came of it. Whether the attempt was official or not, I'm not certain.

I also am disappointed that Saab is no more. I've always loved their cars.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts
If you owned one....

I loved my 72 Sonnet (except when I hated it). It's like that with sporty cars.
...you should be able to spell SONETT...:biggrin:

I had a '79 900 EMS and when I met my wife in 1983, she had a Sonett. So we had two of them for a while. They were fun cars to drive, but ultimately they were unreliable junk in comparison to today's vehicles. You could keep them running for a long time, but it took bushels of money and an on-staff mechanic.

My 900 was also turning into a pile of iron oxide by 1986 when I sold it. But I loved driving it.

Great road feel, great in Michigan winters (except for the rust), smooth shifting 4 speed transmissions. And the V4 in the Sonett was so cool. For fun trivia, that engine came from the 2.6 liter German Ford V6 engine that was used in the Capri, became a 2800, the Ford Ranger pickup 2.9, and the Explorer 4.0. It then grew overhead cams and is currently used in the Ford Explorer and Mustang. Made in Cologne, Germany.

GM buying SAAB was never a good idea, IMO. I also predicted the Renault/AMC thing was gonna bomb big time and I will give my prediction that Fiat/Chrysler will fall off the face of the earth in the US not very many years from now.

George

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts
Dang, you're right! And I even thought I had looked it up. My excuse is that I got up at 5AM and flew across most of the continent today.
...and boy are your arms tired :biggrin: (bada bing)

No biggie. It's like the "in crowd" knows a BMW car is a "bimmer" whereas a BMW motorcycle is a "beamer"...

George

1 - 20 of 71 Posts