Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a slightly interesting problem.

First points: No ECU error code, oil levels are fine, water levels are fine & can't find any split hoses/leaks. No oil in the water & no water in the oil. Engine is running fine, no change in performance as such. Motor just coming up to 100K

Last work conducted:

Changed the PCV which meant removing the TMIC, also did an oil change and changed oil filter & air filter.

The Problem:

On start up I get a white'ish mist, not bellowing smoke more like heavy condensation. Fuel economy is down, about 190 Miles to a tank. The misting is also present while idling.

* First thing i'm doing on Thursday is a pressure test on the cooling system.
* Could be MAF or 02 sensor going bad - any clever ideas as to how I could rule either of these out?

Suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
I also experience misting on idle, even when warmed thoroughly. Not so much at present, perhaps due to ambient air temp increasing / relative humidity increasing in recent months...??

I squeeze around 200-230 out of a tank of 97, odo reads 110k, oil & water OK, no CELs, no other issues.

cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Blimey Im by no means standard and I get 270 + from a tank

the results of a compression test might be of interest ....

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,542 Posts
It depends if the consumption is measured doing long trips or short ones. It can vary greatly.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I commute 10 miles in and 10 miles back

stop start / cross country / some fast bits

Still say 200+ miles from a tank could be better

Thats what I was getting when sensor went down, fails in range so doesnt throw a CEL

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all of the feed back. I'll replace the front 02 sensor first.

As Nich B states he's getting around 270miles from a tank from what would seem like a very similar driving pattern.

Does anyone have a "How to fit a front 02 sensor guide"?

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately not, the closest I can get is read the ECU error codes (two black wires & read the flashes).

I'm pretty sure the problem is 02 sensor related as fuel consumption has dropped from 25/27 MPG to 21MPG & there is a soot build up on the tail pipe which was clean at the beginning of the week.

It would just be useful to determine if it's the sensor before spending £180 on a new part..

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the plot thickens. Drove Berkshire to Sussex & back over the weekend & averaged 35MPG.

It's almost as if the car has good & bad days....

I think I'll proceed with an 02 sensor change, it appears to have been done already as it's a Bosch replacement on there at the moment - Any one have a recommendation for a good sensor which is cheaper than the manufacturer part?

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
So the plot thickens. Drove Berkshire to Sussex & back over the weekend & averaged 35MPG.

It's almost as if the car has good & bad days....

I think I'll proceed with an 02 sensor change, it appears to have been done already as it's a Bosch replacement on there at the moment - Any one have a recommendation for a good sensor which is cheaper than the manufacturer part?
Can you let us know what you buy, I think I might need one too and dont know what to look out for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts