Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just a quick question, is there any way to change the stall speed of the autobox?

The problem I am having is when I pull away from a standing start I floor the loud pedal and the car just moves off as if Miss Daisy was driving then all of a sudden WayyyHeyy off it goes.

I have even moved the lever from drive to 1st and tried again and I get exactly the same result. Just need to know if there is any modification or fix to make a standing start a bit more quicker off the mark.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Are you sure your car is boosting properly?

Below 2750 rpm mine is pretty poor compared to what happens after 2500rpm but I wouldnt call it miss daisy.

I would check my boost, when it comes in and how much psi your getting.

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,
Got a good boost gauge on order, thought I would get the gauge in before buying my HDI SE from Harvey.:biggrin:
Also getting silicone Y pipe, induction pipe and hard intake pipe.
Would love to upgrade to an STi 8 top mount if I can find one at a decent price.

The car pulls so strong every other time and accelerates so quick it's just the pull away on a standing start that lets it down.

All the fluids had been changed with good quality Millers fluids when I bought the car so its not as if the autobox fluid is letting it down.

By the way - Got Bugeye WRX suspension on it now:cool::

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
let me know the part numbers for the y pipe when you order as I could do with replacing mine as its the only pipe I havent replaced.

you will notice a difference with the HDI in the car but it is essential you get a boost guage to set it up.

Your motor is far too clean :biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Your motor is far too clean :biggrin:
that looks Quality!

I must have "obsessive compulsive disorder"..... I cant stand to see my car dirty!!, I just used some new polish and wax, I picked it up at the London Boat Show, its actually Yacht Polish made by Hemple Hempel Wax and Protect with TecCel - Youngs Boat Yard

I think i like it just as much as Meguiars.... and im a Meguiars junkie!!!

i even wash my work van every week!!!!!!.....

·
Registered
06 Forester STi
73 Posts
Hi all,
Just a quick question, is there any way to change the stall speed of the autobox?

The problem I am having is when I pull away from a standing start I floor the loud pedal and the car just moves off as if Miss Daisy was driving then all of a sudden WayyyHeyy off it goes.

I have even moved the lever from drive to 1st and tried again and I get exactly the same result. Just need to know if there is any modification or fix to make a standing start a bit more quicker off the mark.
My SF5 GT auto starts to act this way as it's getting close to needing a service.
Once I run the Upper Engine Cleaner through it and throw a bottle of the Fuel Additive in the petrol tank she perks up again pretty quickly.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
One other option you might try Kushbex is to open up the headers. Search for 'porting the headers' and you will find some good info. You can buy a set from Harvey but they are not cheap. I did my own and it does lower the pull away threshold by a small margin. Otherwise it's clean fluid and fitting those silicone pipes. Just also check the condition of the small bore boost pipes that run near the turbo, they can kink and bake and reduce boost, had to replace mine a while back.

Cheers

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts