Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

S.S. brake lines

5K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  h bear 
#1 ·
how much should stainless steel brake lines for a SF cost?? The guy where I buy most of my parts told me 260$ can??? anyone one know how much I should pay?:?:

#3 ·
Do yourself a favor and do not purchase no name SS lines off ebay... I've heard horror stories of their failures/ruptures. Stick with brand name stuff like Goodridge! Roo sells Goodrich SS lines for US $120 plus shipping.

#8 ·
I've installed a few sets of SS lines. All I can say is don't expect too much from this mod if you are only using them on the street. It's not just me but I've talked to others that have said the same thing. Bleed the brakes first and see if that helps. Tracking the car where you may mash the pedal a lot and very hard you might see a difference. Also, get some that are coated in some sort of sheath of plastic. Naked lines will saw through metal if it rubs against stuff.

#14 ·
Also, get some that are coated in some sort of sheath of plastic. Naked lines will saw through metal if it rubs against stuff.
Okay, I've heard similar stuff on an RX7 forum, and also that any dirt and grit that works its way in between the braids may eventually wear through the inner rubber. I'm planning to attack the nearly whole brake system on our 13B this week - rebuild the calipers, master cylinder, new rotors and pads, SS lines... just about everything but the hard lines, booster, and pedal. Anyway, the lines I got are not pre-coated, so is there any general consensus on what to use for a coating after-the-fact?

#9 ·
Peaty said:
I've installed a few sets of SS lines. All I can say is don't expect too much from this mod if you are only using them on the street. It's not just me but I've talked to others that have said the same thing. Bleed the brakes first and see if that helps. Tracking the car where you may mash the pedal a lot and very hard you might see a difference. Also, get some that are coated in some sort of sheath of plastic. Naked lines will saw through metal if it rubs against stuff.
+2

I did them on my RS with slotted rotors, axxis ultimates, syn fluid. Didn't really care for the set up as a daily driver set up, but once that thing was twistng through the canyons the SS lines and slotted rotors became my best friends... No more mushy pedal, no fade at all,and everyone walks up and goes :shock: cool!

#12 ·
An interesting bit to read. On motorcycles & especially our sportbikes so many of us have gone over to braided SS front brake lines or in the case of some of us it is Kevlar. After all 90% of our stopping power is with the front disc brakes.

We are trying to avoid the front brake lines pulging in hot weather, which tends to feel like a bubble in the brake lines, when it comes to an emerencie stopping matter.

#18 ·
I just thought of using silicone tape thats available in rolls of 1" widths.

I 've used these to waterproof certain electrical connectors instead of electrical tape in the engine bay.

It may work wrapped around the SS brake lines because silicone can handle higher temps than vinyl or rubber tapes.

These are usually available in home improvement stores. I think I'll try it.

#20 ·
Peaty is right , don't expect to much . I had SS lines from Cobb
installed ( $ 160.00 ) also changed brake fluid with ( ATE GOLD ) .
The shop where I bring my car , has the latest equipment and real
mechanics , not part exchangers . They have a machine to change
brake fluid , could not use my speed bleeders . If you need something
done right , that is the place to go in up State New York .

#23 ·
Anyone had any experience with the Stoptech lines? They're a relatively low price and they're the first that comes up when searching for '93-'01 fits. The people at gruppe-s told me that they were not sure if the '02+ wrx impreza lines they had would fit the wrx 4-pot and rotors brake kit I plan to upgrade to. Anyone else know? If I could even find a source for the goodridge lines for the respective '01 wrx would be good also.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.