Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder and Go. When making a lane change or movement to either side, one should look, not just depend on the mirrors. Yes there are blind spot detection systems in place these days but good practice and habit may still make one do a visible look to clear the are you are moving towards. I've noticed and my wife, after driving our new Sport for her first extended busy freeway/bad weather trip, noticed today that when doing the quick glance over the shoulder to check the right side blind spot, that the upward sweep of the body in the rear side windows can be very distracting, the light color contrasts with the seat and head rest colors and it almost looks like a vehicle in the window versus the body. It makes a quick glance a little "iffy" in deciding what one sees. Not sure it's significantly worse than other vehicles but we've both noticed it. I might look a little closer at maybe darkening the trim in the area. It may be that it's just different enough from our other vehicles to cause us some concern.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
518 Posts
I am in the same boat. Lots of glare on the trim under the rear quarter window. I tried to price trim pieces from the bottom of the C pillar transitioning to the piece under the window. I got that they were available but no prices. I was going to wrap the pieces in a flat dark black body wrap material so I could swap back if needed. Picture was taken in my garage so you can imagine what full sun is.

EDIT: B pillar changed to C pillar.

2019 Forester Rt. Rear Trim.jpg

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
80 Posts
...I've noticed and my wife, after driving our new Sport for her first extended busy freeway/bad weather trip, noticed today that when doing the quick glance over the shoulder to check the right side blind spot, that the upward sweep of the body in the rear side windows can be very distracting, the light color contrasts with the seat and head rest colors and it almost looks like a vehicle in the window versus the body. It makes a quick glance a little "iffy" in deciding what one sees.
This exact problem with my '17 XT caused me replace the lighter color 'D' pillars with the black ones from the Forester TS. It completely solved the problem.

You will likely not have that option because of the restyling in '19. Maybe others can offer a solution???

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to see how it goes and if we get more used to it. Then may look into changes around the window.

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the pillar is less an issue than the side sections below the window. The light section below the window (and bottom of window, of course) sweeps upward, and the seat tops, cargo cover, head rests, etc., are typically a much darker color. Since it's typically a quick glance and in peripheral vision, one would usually see motion well or contrast but not necessarily detail. So what we "see" seems to be something intruding into the expected window space that is a lighter color than much of the surrounding, especially lower space. It might even be window shape and/or what types of windows we've had in previous vehicles that have conditioned what we are used to seeing. Similar to changing eyeglass frames that fit differently into the peripheral vision areas used in driving.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This exact problem with my '17 XT caused me replace the lighter color 'D' pillars with the black ones from the Forester TS. It completely solved the problem.

You will likely not have that option because of the restyling in '19. Maybe others can offer a solution???
+1. I found out there are no black trim pieces available on the new Forester. All trim levels in that area are lighter color(s). Will require some sort of color change like above mentioned paint, dip or wrap. There are three pieces between the bottom of C pillar to the bottom of the rear quarter window because of the seatbelt. Could still require the large trim piece across the bottom up and around the back of the window. I imagine that one would be pricey.

EDIT Correction: C pillar not B.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
80 Posts
+1. I found out there are no black trim pieces available on the new Forester. All trim levels in that area are lighter color(s). Will require some sort of color change like above mentioned paint, dip or wrap.
There are three pieces between the bottom of B pillar to the bottom of the rear quarter window because of the seat belt. Could still require the large trim piece across the bottom up and around the back of the window. I imagine that one would be pricey.
Coupla things here: a good body shop will be able to spray the pillar covers.

Second; I was able to cure the goofy visibility problem by replacing only the 'C' and 'D' pillar covers. Actually, the 'D' pillar was the problem but because of how the 'C' pillar lines up with the rear seats, it made a nice demarcation point that does not look one bit out of place with the lighter 'A' and 'B' pillars. As far as price, the fancy black JDM TS Pillars only cost $290 for both 'C' and 'D' pillar sets.

Because I'm trying to sell my OEM sets of pillars I've looked up the prices for new ones. They are not all that expensive.

Again my reference is a '17, with the caveat that I've not seen how the pillars are done in a '19.

Lastly, the 'B' pillars that contain the front shoulder belt mounting points 'should be' in front of the rear doors and even with the front seats. I can't imagine how the 'B' pillars would figure in solving the rearmost quarter window mirage since they are so far forward.

·
Registered
518 Posts
..........Lastly, the 'B' pillars that contain the front shoulder belt mounting points 'should be' in front of the rear doors and even with the front seats. I can't imagine how the 'B' pillars would figure in solving the rearmost quarter window mirage since they are so far forward.
I meant "C". I know all the numbers but still working the letters. :) The "C" pillar itself does not bother me. I think the three transition pieces right under the "C" pillar can do the trick. They include the slot for rear seat belt to slide between. I sure hope I don't need the $$$ "D" piece. There's a pic a few posts back of the three pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts