Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The fuel filler neck is rusted out and has a big hole in it on my wife's 98 forester, we can't put fuel in it. My local mechanic quoted me $532 to replace the filler neck ,valve, and gasket. About $400 in parts and the rest in labor. That seems pretty high to me. I can get the neck, valve, and gasket online for $200 shipped so I think I might try to fix it myself. I looked it over and it doesn't look to complicated, but there was one thing that I need clarification on. On the bottom of the filler neck, where it bends to go towards the gas tank, it looks like there is a metal evap line that is welded to a bracket on the filler neck. If I take the old filler neck out, what do I do about that attatched evap line? I took a picture that I can post later today if need be.

I was also looking at the filler necks on ebay for $106 shipped, but it doesn't come with the valve and I don't see a place to attatch the valve? Or is the valve not necessary?

Also, could you look at Ebay item # 320555855404 and tell me if it is applicable to my 98 forester. I have read some things on here saying they changed the design halfway through the year? I would link directly to the ebay listing but I do not have enough posts on this forum to do so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I called subaruonlineparts.com and they have all the parts (filler pipe, gasket, and valve) for around $125 shipped. I just need to call back with my VIN because they said there are two different filler pipes for the 98 Forester. The only concern I still have is that one of the metal vacuum tubes seems to be physically attatched to the bottom of the filler pipe where it bends to go into the gas tank.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I called subaruonlineparts.com and they have all the parts (filler pipe, gasket, and valve) for around $125 shipped. I just need to call back with my VIN because they said there are two different filler pipes for the 98 Forester. The only concern I still have is that one of the metal vacuum tubes seems to be physically attatched to the bottom of the filler pipe where it bends to go into the gas tank.
I think pipe might be part of filler assembly, I don't remember it that way though.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered the stuff from Subaruonlineparts, came to $137 plus shipping. I am glad I called, because with the VIN # the parts were different than what it showed on their online schematic. It all looks really straightforward to install, hopefully....

Since we can't drive the car as it is anyway I will probably take the old filler tube out tonight to see if anything else breaks so I can get more replacement parts on order if needed.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Just ordered the stuff from Subaruonlineparts, came to $137 plus shipping. I am glad I called, because with the VIN # the parts were different than what it showed on their online schematic. It all looks really straightforward to install, hopefully....

Since we can't drive the car as it is anyway I will probably take the old filler tube out tonight to see if anything else breaks so I can get more replacement parts on order if needed.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other question, why are some of the fuel/vacuum lines under there made of metal? So they won't get kinked? If the metal ones break, could I use a rubber replacement?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
One other question, why are some of the fuel/vacuum lines under there made of metal? So they won't get kinked? If the metal ones break, could I use a rubber replacement?
Not sure why, but it couldn't hurt to use high pressure rated fuel hose instead.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it done the other night, pretty easy overall. Ended up costing me $200 compared to my mechanic who wanted $530.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Got it done the other night, pretty easy overall. Ended up costing me $200 compared to my mechanic who wanted $530.
Awesome, DIY can save a lot of money if done right :Banane35:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts