Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.0D XC 6MT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any ideas what has caused this? The inside faces of myfront discs after 14,500 miles/3 years. Failed it's first MOT because of them. Subaru UK replaced them under warranty but I got the bill for new pads and fitting even though the dealer(John R Weir) had to remove the pads/calipers to change the discs. Cost £75 for pads and £60 for fitting all plus VAT. The outer faces are normal and the shiny section is indented in the disc face.

John

Attachments

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
That looks very odd... fault during the manufacturing process of the discs resulting in a raised section in the middle of each disc, perhaps?

No way I'd have paid for them to fit the pads... the time for this would have been included in the job to replace the discs as you already mention.

You should ask for your money back for the labour otherwise, they've charged you twice for the same time (even though the warranty is picking up the tab for the discs).

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
sounds to me like the calipers arent doing their job properly, almost like their not pressing the disk in the correct fashion. Ideally the disk should be press equally from both sides, but it looks like yours arent.

This could be either a fault in the pad manufactur, :crazy: the sliders which hold the pads might be sticking :shrug: or the calipers are fooked! :shake:

Whatever it is i'd be keeping my eyes on it for the next few weeks. you'll be able to tell pretty quick as they'll start to go rusty quickly.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Looks as if you are getting a build up of rust on the inner face which is then stopping the pad from doing its job properly.
An avg of 5000 miles per year is not a lot especially in Perthshire where I expect the roads are heavily gritted/salted in the winter months. The outer face probably gets washed regularly and no build up.

I'd also go with dpm.........
Not enough heavy braking...

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
It is advisable to put on new pads when you change the discs as then they both bed in together, so as to not cause adverse wear as the pads & discs mould to each other.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Common to see disc rusting like that in areas of high humidity and salt . A thin layer of rust forms on the rotor when parked overnight or any extended period. The thickness is dependant on humidity, salt concentration and time parked. When the car is moved and the brakes applied most of the rust is scraped off but some rust remains on the edge of the contact patch. This rust band slowly moves in as the outer edge of the brake pads are chewed up by the encroaching rust and you end up with discs just like yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts