Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We have very wet weather here at the moment and in the morning after my car spent the night outside, the front discs sound as if they were rusty. The sound vanishes after a few times that the brakes were used (usually at the second traffic light), so I assume its not worn brake pads. Car has only ~15000 miles on, so I wonder. Any ideas?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
That's normal. It's bare metal and will oxidize quickly. But like you say a few stops and it's gone quickly.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
That's exactly what's happening.
I get the same thing after it rains overnight.
By the second or third stop it's quiet again.
Don't be alarmed, it's normal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS! In my manual it says that the brakes have a "built in noise maker" when the pads come close to their end. Is the noise maker's noise very different from the noise of rusty discs?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Oh yes the noise maker will make a very scary noise. I'm attaching a pic of the thing (clip) that will rub on the disk to make the noise. The bad thing is there are two pads and only one has the wear indicator. So when I install pads I put that one to the inside since it's easier to see the outer pad. If your pads wear unevenly and the one w/o the indicator goes first that could be bad news.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Peaty said:
That's normal. It's bare metal and will oxidize quickly. But like you say a few stops and it's gone quickly.
yeah I get this almost every day

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
The sound of the brake pad noisemakers will happen when the car is in motion and diappear when the brakes are applied. Rusty rotors are completely normal after being parked in the rain. The first few times you apply the brakes will clear off the rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts