Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 2.5X has a fairly well rusted fuel door latch--the one on the floor to the left of the driver's seat. I can lift it and release the fuel door, but the latch won't return to it's original position. In order to get the fuel door to close, I have to push the latch down again after I've pulled it. I tried searching for information on this problem, but haven't found anything. The Haynes manual doesn't mention this latch either.

So, anyone know what might have caused the rust? The grommet that attaches the floor mat to the peg down there is a bit corroded as well. The car shows no signs of flood damage, so I'm thinking maybe just snow got in there and melted? The car was in Vermont for a few years before coming down to Texas

I'm going to see if I can get it to work again with some well aimed PB blaster tomorrow, though I suspect I'll have to pull back the carpet, which I don't know how to do yet. If that won't work, I may have to replace the latch and/or spring that it's connected to.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,861 Posts
I'd recommend looking under the carpet for moisture before using PB blaster. It's very easy to get under the carpet. Pop off the plastic threshold & you'll see how the carpet is secured. pull it loose & you should be able to see under the carpet. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I popped off the threshold and there to take a look at the carpet. It is stapled to some sort of plastic sheet that looks like it extends under the other pieces of trim, left foot pad near the clutch, and possibly the driver's seat. I am wondering whether I should remove the staples--which are pretty rusty--or take the additional trim and driver's seat out.

I was able to get a fairly good look under the plastic and it doesn't look like the metal under the carpet (floor pan?) is rusted, just a bit on the seat-rail bolts, fuel door latch, and those staples.

·
Super Moderator
35,861 Posts
When you popped off the threshold, did you pop the carpet/plastic out of the retainer. You shouldn't need to remove any staples. :smile:

If there no sign of moisture, the rusting may have occurred when the vehicle was in Vermont. Any chance the binding is happening on the other end? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by the retainer?

I removed one plastic nut to the left of the clutch/footpad, and one trim colored pin along with the plastic rivet underneath, then popped the four snaps holding the threshold on. Retainer?

I'll take a look another look at it tomorrow, thanks for your help, :icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
35,861 Posts
Once you pull off the plastic threshold (the piece you removed), you'll see the carpet is attached to plastic, that's pushed into a retainer. Release it (will pop out) & you can get under the carpet. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts