Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent CVT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My 2007 Sports XT is in great shape topside (inside and out). But what lurks underneath isn't as pretty. As a general matter, how big of an operation is dealing with the rust? I have no experience with it, but I suppose the exhaust can be replaced. What about any rust on the frame? Full disclosure: At this point I'm more interested on how this affects trade-in/resale value than getting a repair myself.

Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester XT 5MT
190 Posts
For a FXT with less than 55k on it, it's belly sure has seen better days. I would think the rust issue would be more of an problem with a private sale. However you most likely will be offered considerably less as a trade in to whatever you can sell it for privately. 5MT SG9 have a much better resale value compared to what KBB lists as their value, specially a low mileage one. It is a shame judging by the pictures, repair/replacement would be costly and any work will be a nightmare with every nut and bolt rusted out if the entire undercarriage is as bad as it appears with the suspension/ rear diff pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
FWIW I've bought this car and will be restoring it to glory with the rust mitigation being a big item. The unibody is in quite good shape with most of the rust being on the subframes, crossmembers, nuts and bolts. Metal Rescue Rust Removing Gel appears to be an applicable product that, applied right, should hopefully address the areas that are most concerning and help ensure nuts/bolts can be serviceable.

The worst of the rust is towards the rear from the kickup of salt/chemicals. The front looks pretty good for the most part.

Example:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
284 Posts
I think you have a good car there - most of the rust is on bolt on parts, so they can be removed and treated or replaced. Japanese cars tend to use very little treatment on their brackets, bars and suspension components. Any corrosion probably look a lot worse than it is.

The little that I could see on the floorpan seems to be just the edges. Should be straightforward to fix.

Exhaust system is a consumable. It has lasted 12 years, so not bad.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Yup already picked up a stock turbo back from an 06 STI removed before it's first oil change so that's dealt with.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I have 2, I have a 2018 FXT and this 2007 FXT that was previously owned by Hueckst. I take pride in and enjoy restoring vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
I'm stunned at the level of corrosion. More so because the auto is located in Virginia. As some point corrosion will affect the performance of the brake calipers, causing sticking pistons.

If I were inclined to purchase an used auto, a look under the vehicle is one of the 1st things I would do. Corrosion, like the above photos, would eliminate the auto from consideration. Without some apparent restoration effort, I would consider that auto a "cash car."

Thinking more about the matter, I suspect that the OP Forester spent time along the salty coast.

For those who do the same, there are great products which greatly reduce the salt spray damage. I personally like the aviation version of Corrosion-X. It is a fogging spray that clings and prevents corrosion to the insides of airplane wings and other parts. Once applied and dry, it lasts a long time.

CorrosionX Aviation

Corrosion X is the only product available to the public that meets the US Navy's tough new corrosion prevention and control performance requirement ( MIL-PRF-81309 G ).

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I think you're blowing it out of proportion just a bit. I've already done a lot of work on the car...only one bolt had to be cut and all others broke free and after soaking in some krud cutter have gone back into service looking like new.

I've got the rear lateral links and subframe soaking now with the metal rescue gel. I'll share the before and after pics.

The exhaust was the worst of it by far...300 bucks to replace, and it's good as new.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
I referred to the OP.

And, like I said, a vehicle which is restored is a different matter.

Corrosion along the sheet metal seams is important. Arrested with a good conversion treatment goes a long way toward making an impression of care.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I bought OP's vehicle and am restoring it but restoration in this case isn't resulting in that much actual work. Just some chemicals, conversion and ultimately some corrosion inhibitor to prevent worsening.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
The effort put into this endeavor will reward you, as you surely have experienced. Like those that buy and fix-up homes, without the level of up front cash.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Here's an example of what just a first pass with a single 4 hour soak with the gel can do. You paint the gel on, wrap it with saran wrap to keep it from drying, come back in several hours and wipe off. I did some light brushing before to knock off flaking surface rust but at most 5 minutes doing that.

Just work a section at a time...it will take time for sure...but very little skill or money involved. What's left can be converted....still debating whether it's worth converting or just going straight to the corrosion inhibitor. I suspect there's too much under the surface to have conversion be successful.

I'm already on round two for these sections.

edit: Round 2 done. I'm actually kind of surprised at how fast this is coming around.

This is what I'm using, BTW.

Amazon.com: Workshop Hero WH003227 Metal Rescue Rust Remover Gel 17.64 Fluid_Ounces: Gateway

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
949 Posts
Maybe its because I'm on a phone but nothing outside the exhaust stuff looks that bad to me. Brush down the surface rust and treat it. I've been doing this to mine bit by bit and its coming along. Nothing structural rotting out or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts