Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dealer screwed up when installing our wheel well trim. Instead of placing the screw shown on the leading edge of the front trim they put all 4 screws on the rears. That screw is into sheet metal which could become a rust problem in the future. Next week it is going back to the dealer to be fixed.

There are several remedies I can think of.

Paint then reinstall the wet screw and try to paint the back side.

I have some Heavy-Duty Anti Rust from Eastwood It is like the yellow waxy stuff Subaru uses from the factory. Apply that after the paint dries?
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-heavy-duty-anti-rust-32oz.html

Or seal everything with something like GE Silicone?

How would you guys suggest they remediate this?

·
admin
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should not be a screw there at all. Just a clip. The screws should only go into the plastic bumper/fenders not metal.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
It looks like there a J-nut or speed nut, so any chance there was already a hole in the fender? If so, perhaps you could replace the screw with one of those plastic screw rivets that Subaru likes to use? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,646 Posts
Mmm its a hard one , perhaps email your dealer and tell them their error and that is a record for if ever rusts if its not already .
But sure as death and taxes they will blame you if you apply any coatings or rust prevention and it still rusts.

·
admin
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just went out and removed the screw. They did drill through the metal fender and its already starting to rust.

·
Administrator
41,250 Posts
Curious... no need for a spring nut, if they're drilling a hole for a self-tapping screw? :confused:

As I read your first post, you're going to have the dealership fix it. If not, you could drill the fender & fit a plastic screw rivet. Paint the drilled hole to prevent rusting & when it's fully dry... cured, install the plastic screw rivet. :wink:

Bobby...

·
admin
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way it was supposed to be installed was to first apply a protective pad. Then slide this clip in place. Then the molding gets installed. No drilling into any metal at all, just protective pads and clips on the metal areas.

Boy am I pissed off.

·
Administrator
41,250 Posts
The fix is going to take some time! To do it correctly, they'll have to plug that hole, paint it & correctly install that clip. The problem is the drying time for the hole filler & paint!

Does that wheel well trim have to be replaced, since a hole was drilled thru it? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,646 Posts
Just went out and removed the screw. They did drill through the metal fender and it already starting to rust.

Yup the orange is rust started already . to get rid use 85% phosphoric acid leave for 24hrs sand off and repeat , wipe off and leave for 24hrs then sand and paint . I have done this many times . it works for along time but as we all know rust is a cancer not be too dramatic.

Take care when using such acids its not for the faint hearted …. gloves glasses etc .

Having said all that phosphoric acid is gentle compared with hydrofluoric acid or some others I could mention.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
Buy some "Rust Mort" from SEM products. Follow directions. Then repair the hole(s) [maybe more trouble than need be since the hole is apparently hidden. I would be very mad too about this], sand, prime, and paint as needed or required. Then install parts as Subaru intended. Hopefully, Subaru, as VW and Audi do, supply instructions with Dealer installed accessories.

·
admin
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After being persistent we got a letter stating they will stand by the repair and warranty us against future rust. Not totally sure what they did but it is in my calendar to periodically monitor this. Probably the best we can expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts