Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought an '03 Forester with 120K on it. Overall it's in very good condition. However, I notice surface rust on engine shrouds, alternator, and on the bolts that hold the rear paneling in place. I assume that there's some rust in other places as well. I've read a few threads on this and plan to use Rust-Oleum on the mufflers and exhaust pipes (not the cat) and to pull the carpet and clean the floor pan.

Is there anything else I should be looking for in terms of hidden damage or potential damage that can be repaired now, before it becomes a problem?

Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,707 Posts
If you're back East, it's difficuilt not to have some rusting, since the roads are salted during the winter. :frown: It sounds like you have a plan to address the rusting! :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Wouldn't bother with taking the carpets out, your main problems will be on the underneath of the floor pan. They put a lot of salt on the roads in Scotland and main problem with Japanese cars are the suspension and brake components, they corrode pretty rapidly although body structure itself is well protected. Depends a lot on which market your car is produced for. Here Japanese imports are pretty well protected because they know the conditions they will be operating under. We also get a lot of second hand Japanese market cars imported and these are not protected underneath to the same level. No salt on the roads in Japan!. Get right underneath the car scrape/brush off the surface rust and cover/spray with a wax based preservative if you want to do the job properly. Oh and repeat every year!.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.