Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@donkpow this is extremely helpful! Yhank you so much! Any help locating the part or where to look? Welder and Jack stands aernt an issue. I just need the time to do the work and a step by step to do it. I'll.stay updated

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
784 Posts
@donkpow This is amazing! I'll be referencing this for a while! I gotta call subaru now Thom it'll be expensive af. Any aftermarket poop?
I'm sure there is, I just don't know where. I always grab a Subaru part number and run a search with that to see what pops up. Usually an after market dealer will say something like, This part is just like Subaru part # xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
603 Posts
If you would like to colour match the bumpers & lower cladding on more of a budget, you can have colour matched aerosol cans mixed at certain Napa stores, depending on which part of Canada your're in. The key is a good prep and use a plastic adhesion promoter, so that the paint adheres properly.

Also on another note, the 1st & 2nd gen Foresters are prone to the rear strut towers rotting out, very similarly to the 1st & 2nd gen Impreza hatchbacks. If the quarter panels are corroded, chances are your Forester will have this issue as well. Since this is a structural issue, I would highly recommend you remove the rear cargo trim and such to check from the inside.

I already had to have the rear towers repaired on my '06 Forester and it had no quarter rot, despite being rustproofed every year from 2009.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Performance Suby I will be removing all the interior bits asap and looking into what panels I can save and which ones I'll repair. The car is one owner and this is something I'm pretty determined at this point to fix. Thx to @donkpow I can source parts and start my journey too fix the forester. I hope it all turns out. But about that plastic adhering compound. I got a lecture about preparing the plastic on the suabaru if I want to paint it from a coworker so I wanna be extra careful.

I'm pretty certain the rear end is solid tho. I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I'm taking carpet out. Anything showing rust will get grinded and replaced and then rust seal the whole car and replace the carpet.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,707 Posts

·
Administrator
41,707 Posts
The only issue now is the paint... the clear coat that's starting to fail from being parked outside. Not impressed with the thin paint on the Forester! Even my '07 FSXT clear coat is failing! :mad:

Looking at a VERY expensive respray for both our Foresters, but with around 30K miles on my son's '03 X & around 28K miles on my '07 FSXT, it's worth the investment. ;)

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
41,707 Posts
@fozzieman it's surprising how quickly it fails, when it starts! The paint will start to look dull... starts on the hood & the area above the windshield... where it gets the most UV from sun exposure, then the clear coat will start to fail & peel off!

The Northside of my '07 FSXT looks perfect, like new, not so much the roof, hood & the South side! :mad:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@donkpow @2.5x_sleeper I'm having trouble finding the panels I need. Idc if they are sold out I just wanna know which panel is which and where to look. I don't have the dictionary too figure out what my panels are called. And Im getting frustrated. Because I'm at the stage where I can get the parts but don't know what they are called. Even if I have to resort to finding a better chassis.

·
Administrator
41,707 Posts
I'm having trouble finding the panels I need. Idc if they are sold out I just wanna know which panel is which and where to look. I don't have the dictionary too figure out what my panels are called. And Im getting frustrated. Because I'm at the stage where I can get the parts but don't know what they are called. Even if I have to resort to finding a better chassis.
Assuming you're asking about the exterior panels. There are multiple pieces & I don't believe you can get them prepainted, they will come as you have now, which is the "unpainted" plastic textured resin.

As to what the side panels are called. Subaru calls then "garnish".
’03 X garnish - complete - 2009 prices!

91112SA200 GARNISH FRON 1 14.50
91112SA210 GARNISH FEND 1 14.50
91112SA240 GARNISH R DR 1 74.00
91112SA250 GARNISH R DR 1 74.00
91112SA260 GARNISH R/Q 1 11.75
91112SA270 GARNISH R/Q 1 11.75
91112SA220 GARNISH F DR 1 84.00
91112SA230 GARNISH F DR 1 84.00

That is for all 4 doors, both fenders and both quarter moldings. All unpainted plastic textured resin. This does not include the bumper skins!
Bobby...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts