Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've been lurking this site for awhile and have found the information contained here very helpful (as it played a part in our first purchase of a Subaru).

Anyhow, we had the unfortunate chance of meeting someone's bouncing tire on the freeway this weekend. Save for some bumps, bruises, and cuts we escaped relatively safely with our 2009 Forester XT taking the brunt of the damage (see attached).

The insurance company is looking to fix the damage since it says such a roof repair can be done safely. If true, I'm fine with that since I'm not looking to profit from this event. However, my only concern is can such a repair maintain the structural integrity of the car? In other words, in the unfortunate event we ever have a like accident or, I hate to mention it, a rollover, will the repair offer similar protection from a car that had no such repair?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some input.

photo.jpg

photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
:icon_eek:
was there someone sitting in the passenger seat at the time?
those are some scary pictures, it doesn't look like there is too much damage to the roofline or the pillar.. that shattered glass gives you nightmares though.

I would talk to the shop doing the repairs, have them go over what they plan on doing and how involved it is. I would think that with just the front edge being affected it should be fine, I'm sure others will chime in too.

Scary, but good to see everyone was ok.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
wow. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

If you have concerns over the repair get plenty of info from the shop on how they plan to do the repair and what they think the impact will be the the structure of the Foz.

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:icon_eek:
was there someone sitting in the passenger seat at the time?
My wife was in the passenger seat and my two kids were in their baby seats in the rear. Needless to say, glass was everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Looks like Subaru's safety engineering came through, and that's great news for you and your family.:icon_cool: Despite assurances that the car can be repaired, I'd consider a cooling-off period before making any hasty decision that may cost you down the line.

For example, what's going to happen when it's time to trade in / sell the car, and the CARFAX report indicates an accident that required a new windshield, repairs to the roof, and repairs to the right "A" pillar, which is part of Subaru's "Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame"?

Even if repaired, this incident may have permanently dented the resale value of your car, and that might be something to take up with the insurance company(ies).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
It depends how they fix it. If they're just going to pull it all out it should be fine. IF they're going to cut and weld, I'd be a little worried.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
OMG! I have heard of stories like this, but never seen actual pictures! :huh:

I am really glad everyone was, for the most part, unscathed.

Good luck with your repairs. If memory serves me correctly, there is
an insurance adjuster who sometimes makes the rounds on here, hopefully
they will see this thread and chime it... :N_poke:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
173 Posts
Tire's/wheels on the road are common I guess, I did see a car that went over a wheel, ripped out the transmission pan and other items.
I myself managed to hit the brakes fast enough to avoid a semi wheel in the middle of the fast lane on the freeway on top of a bridge, I manager to pull over and got the wheel off the freeway before some real damage a occurred to someone else.
Glad to see your OK, that must be freaky seeing a wheel flying at you.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
It depends how they fix it. If they're just going to pull it all out it should be fine. IF they're going to cut and weld, I'd be a little worried.
Completely backwards view, from my trained eye. First, there's no way they can just "pull that out". That's all got to be replaced. New roof skin, front header beam, right A pillar are all going to get cut out and replaced. Unless the car is going to some butcher shop with a guy who's only using a MIG for the first time that day, it will be perfectly fine. The idea that you can pull that out and fix it without using a half gallon of body filler to make it smooth is absurd. New metal is always better than straigtening, and straightening is okay up to a point, but it depends on the type of steel (HSLA in the pillar there...look up that term) and how much it's been stretched and distorted.

That's a big repair, but it's certainly repairable.

As to Carfax (which only will possibly note the incident), it won't specify the type of damage, only that there was an insurance claim and maybe the location on the car and the amount. Carfax is not that precise. Only a few states allow for diminished value claims; I don't know if CA is one of them or not. If the car is properly repaired, no diminished value should apply, IMO.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
:biggrin:
Doing this stuff every day for a paycheck gives me a little knowledge. You can always PM me with questions if something happens to you since I don't read the board every day. This site has been mostly devoid of the hysteria I read on a lot of other boards ("Dude! You need to get a lawyer! Coz they will try to screw U!"). I give straight answers, not ones to make people feel warm and fuzzy. The business works the way it does and individuals will not change it. It's not perfect, and frequently pretty stupid, but with it generally works pretty well.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
:biggrin:
Doing this stuff every day for a paycheck gives me a little knowledge. You can always PM me with questions if something happens to you since I don't read the board every day. This site has been mostly devoid of the hysteria I read on a lot of other boards ("Dude! You need to get a lawyer! Coz they will try to screw U!"). I give straight answers, not ones to make people feel warm and fuzzy. The business works the way it does and individuals will not change it. It's not perfect, and frequently pretty stupid, but with it generally works pretty well.
I always laugh when people say this.:huh:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
I thought it was the shop's decision on whether or not it is "safe" to fix something like this or have it totaled out. I know it can be fixed cosmetically as if nothing happened, but there is no doubt in my mind that there will now be a weak point if the car is ever rolled in the future. Not to mention, you have the burden of having this as a "repaired" vehicle if you ever go to trade it in/sell it, which lowers it's value. I'd have a trusted shop tell the insurance company what's what.

For example, my insurance company was adamant about fixing my motorcycle after my crash, but the shop I took it to disagreed, and spoke with the vehicle inspector (or whomever comes to survey the damage) that it wasn't going to be as safe if they did fix it. One week later, I was riding a brand new bike and my old one was totaled out.

But as long as a TRUSTED shop says they can fix it without any safety loss, then I'd take their word for it and have it fixed. If the shop doubts it even for a second, have them talk to the insurance company.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I know it can be fixed cosmetically as if nothing happened, but there is no doubt in my mind that there will now be a weak point if the car is ever rolled in the future.
False.
All cars are spot welded together. There are specific joints where pieces go together that may be seam welded. The spot welds are drilled out, the new piece installed, and the welds replaced in the exact same locations. Do your best to explain to me how this will weaken the car. I'll wait. :icon_wink:

Now, if you straighten a piece of metal, is the strength of that particular piece going to be any different? Yes. While stamped metal does have a 'memory' and will want to return to it's original shape, it's also true that if the piece is hit again in the same area, it is more likely to bend toward it's damaged state than one that was undamaged. With this in mind, do you still want that roof fixed (which, BTW, is pretty much impossible)?

Motorcycles are completely different than cars when it comes to accident damage and repairs. The concerns with something that only rides on 2 wheels are very different than with cars. I drive both, and adjust both. I don't treat either the same in how I ride or repair them.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
False.
All cars are spot welded together. There are specific joints where pieces go together that may be seam welded. The spot welds are drilled out, the new piece installed, and the welds replaced in the exact same locations. Do your best to explain to me how this will weaken the car. I'll wait. :icon_wink:

Now, if you straighten a piece of metal, is the strength of that particular piece going to be any different? Yes. While stamped metal does have a 'memory' and will want to return to it's original shape, it's also true that if the piece is hit again in the same area, it is more likely to bend toward it's damaged state than one that was undamaged. With this in mind, do you still want that roof fixed (which, BTW, is pretty much impossible)?

Motorcycles are completely different than cars when it comes to accident damage and repairs. The concerns with something that only rides on 2 wheels are very different than with cars. I drive both, and adjust both. I don't treat either the same in how I ride or repair them.
+1 My uncle is a master body shop tech. Some of their work is better than factory when it come to replacing a section, even large sections of unibody.

Here is an example (not my uncle)

New panels are re-spot welded in original locations resulting in equal strength as factory or even stronger than factory depending how tedious the technician is. I have see a whole F-250 pickup cab cut in half from a T bone hit. Buckled the floor and foor in. My uncle replaced the cab half and had it good as new.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
+1 My uncle is a master body shop tech. Some of their work is better than factory when it come to replacing a section, even large sections of unibody.

Here is an example (not my uncle)

New panels are re-spot welded in original locations resulting in equal strength as factory or even stronger than factory depending how tedious the technician is. I have see a whole F-250 pickup cab cut in half from a T bone hit. Buckled the floor and roof in. My uncle replaced the cab half and had it good as new.
oops

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Florida Law allows for a diminished value claim if you purchased the vehicle new, because no matter how you cut it a wrecked vehicle isn't worth as much as one that has not been wrecked, everything else being equal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts