Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-6 here for the last couple of mornings and it seems my sunroof glass was not up to it as it has developed a nice U shaped crack.

Windscreen is covered by insurance by I doubt if the sunroof is - might be worth a call to the insurance company though.

If it's not it'll be time to raid the breakers and dig the tools out.

Anyone know how time consuming / difficult it is to change the glass over?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
I was looking at a technical diagram of the sunroof a while back and it appears that the glass itself it quite easy to remove. When closed, there are 4 black plastic rectangles that are caps that pop off. Once off, there should be the bits that hold on the glass (along with shims to get it level).

I haven't taken the plastic pieces off, but it made sense from the diagram

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
-6......really, I'm about 12 miles from you and it's been nowhere near that cold here :confused:

Anyway, your insurance should cover all the glass in the car. They give the windscreen special treatment cause it's more frequent

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-6......really, I'm about 12 miles from you and it's been nowhere near that cold here :confused:

Anyway, your insurance should cover all the glass in the car. They give the windscreen special treatment cause it's more frequent
yeah, last couple of mornings have been brass monkies over here in Wantage! I'll give the insurance company a call and see what they say.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at a technical diagram of the sunroof a while back and it appears that the glass itself it quite easy to remove. When closed, there are 4 black plastic rectangles that are caps that pop off. Once off, there should be the bits that hold on the glass (along with shims to get it level).

I haven't taken the plastic pieces off, but it made sense from the diagram
Thanks for the info... Had hoped it wouldn't be too tricky.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
-6 here for the last couple of mornings and it seems my sunroof glass was not up to it as it has developed a nice U shaped crack.
Were you trying to open it or something? Mine has seen temps down to -32C and I haven't had any problems nor have I ever heard of this happening.

That said, I would expect an insurance company to cover it. In the US, it would be covered under Comprehensive.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you trying to open it or something? Mine has seen temps down to -32C and I haven't had any problems nor have I ever heard of this happening.

That said, I would expect an insurance company to cover it. In the US, it would be covered under Comprehensive.
Wasn't doing anything, it just cracked unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts