Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally time to take care of the rubbing issues I've had since putting on STI springs, konis and a wider 245/245/17 tire. My fenders have been rolled with much success but along with render rub, I've been getting wheel well rub. The pictures show where the problem is happening. Has anyone across this, and if so, what kind of solutions have you found? The very manly way of taking a hammer to it was not suggested by the body guy I just talked to. He's saying the bump/protrusion on the outside of the wheel well is probably there for a reason. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I was having the same trouble in the back. The imprezas don't have that structure in the rear wheel wheels iirc. I was thinking of trimming it and then having a friend weld a bit of a lip along the edge, but I think I've decided that a small strut top lift would help the most (maybe a half inch or so)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funkymonkey,
These are both great ideas. The 1/2 in lift is probably the most practical and pain-free, but the idea of changing my stance at this point isn't ideal (yet). I've went ahead and given my Konis a 25% increase in firmness to see if that will do the trick until I decide on a direction. It would be very interesting to hear more about that part of the car, why it's there, whether or not it's structural, etc.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Which STI springs are you running , Forester or Impreza ? What wheel/offset are you running ? I had 04 STI struts + JDM Pinks along wiht 17x8 ET48 245/45/17 tires and didn't have any rubbing issues front or rear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which STI springs are you running , Forester or Impreza ? What wheel/offset are you running ? I had 04 STI struts + JDM Pinks along wiht 17x8 ET48 245/45/17 tires and didn't have any rubbing issues front or rear.
Legacy, these are the STI wagon springs on Koni inserts. Looks like we have the same wheel and tire spec. Do the STI struts have less movement maybe?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Legacy, these are the STI wagon springs on Koni inserts. Looks like we have the same wheel and tire spec. Do the STI struts have less movement maybe?
And I should have specified, I had Impreza STI pinks on there. Could be the difference in struts or perhaps the sedan spring is stiffer than the wagon so it doesn't move as much ? Look up the specs on the springs to see how much difference there is from sedan/wagon Pinks.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Mine rubbed on wrx sedan take offs. The rubbing was greatly reduced when i swapped in wagon springs in the rear. However in the winter I ran 215/65/16 studded snow tires with that drop, and that worked really well for removing all the paint/undercoating on those structures (also rubbed a ton on the front drivers wheel well where the dead pedal is).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts