Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some Prodrive P-WRC1 wheels (18x7.5, et46, crystal titanium) to replace my 17" FSXT STi wheels. I'm starting to look for tires that'll be decent for year-round use, road-trips, etc. This will be my 'workhorse' setup, so to speak, since I already have another set of 18" wheels with sticky tires. I'd prefer that they have a UTQG of 400 or more.

Due to the width, I think I'm limited to a few sizes - 225/50/18 and 245/45/18. The 225/50 group of tires is primarily standard all-season, whereas the 245/45 group has more performance oriented tires.

Here are some of my top choices:

225/50/18:
Michelin HydroEdge
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Dunlop Signature

245/45/18:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Pirelli PZero Nero All Season
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Any others that I should be researching? I'll be running these most of the year, so they must be good in the rain. :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I recently bought some Prodrive P-WRC1 wheels (18x7.5, et46, crystal titanium) to replace my 17" FSXT STi wheels. I'm starting to look for tires that'll be decent for year-round use, road-trips, etc. This will be my 'workhorse' setup, so to speak, since I already have another set of 18" wheels with sticky tires. I'd prefer that they have a UTQG of 400 or more.

Due to the width, I think I'm limited to a few sizes - 225/50/18 and 245/45/18. The 225/50 group of tires is primarily standard all-season, whereas the 245/45 group has more performance oriented tires.

Here are some of my top choices:

225/50/18:
Michelin HydroEdge
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Dunlop Signature

245/45/18:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Pirelli PZero Nero All Season
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Any others that I should be researching? I'll be running these most of the year, so they must be good in the rain. :)

Thanks!
I can only comment on the HydroEdge which I had on my 99, stock sizes, great wet weather tire, fairly stiff side wall, the thing that sucked the most was I had more flat tires with these than I've had in 30 years of driving. Eight flats in 3 years :huh: they just seem to pick up every stone and sharp item and hold it in the tread till it punctures.

Previously on the 99 I had another set of Geo's that were take off's, no flats with them. With the Conti Extreme Contacts that I've had for 2 years now, no flats yet.

Maybe I had a string of bad luck with the HydroEdge, but they do pick up a lot of gravel in the treads.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
My trusted tire guy told me 7.5" is the optional width for a 235 tire. If you go smaller, you'll be asking for curve rash (no rubber bumper) & if you go too much larger, it going to start looking rounded. :wink:

I'm not going to mention brands, since everyone has their favorite. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
4/07 wrx wagon/fozzy xt manual/auto
308 Posts
on a 7.5 or an 8 inch wide wheel, a 225 is almost perfectly square.

but i always wonder why run a 7.5 wheel/225 when there's so much more room for an 8.5/245

but since you've already got them (great wheel) the 225/50 would do well but i'd look for a 235

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I had a string of bad luck with the HydroEdge, but they do pick up a lot of gravel in the treads.
Good to know about the Hydroedges...I'll look more into the problem.

My trusted tire guy told me 7.5" is the optional width for a 235 tire. If you go smaller, you'll be asking for curve rash (no rubber bumper) & if you go too much larger, it going to start looking rounded.
I totally agree with you - 225 or 235 would be optimal. The only problem I'm running into is that the selection isn't great in 235/45. :(

on a 7.5 or an 8 inch wide wheel, a 225 is almost perfectly square.

but i always wonder why run a 7.5 wheel/225 when there's so much more room for an 8.5/245

but since you've already got them (great wheel) the 225/50 would do well but i'd look for a 235
Agreed. I wish they were 8 or 8.5 wide, but I got them for an unspeakable price, so I'm not complaining. :biggrin: I'm leaning toward 225/50, since there's a better selection of tires and so the sidewall doesn't look rounded.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I had the original Conti's and they were/are my favorite a/s tire of all time.
Same.

Most of those other tires are not at all performance rated. Of all the tires listed, only the contis would I buy for myself. Go on tirerack and check UHP all season, I think you'll be disappointed in the overall grip of anything lower than that.

For an all season I dont think they get much better than the extremecontact, especially for the money. If you're going to touch any snow with these, they're the only tire I would consider.

The goodyear assurance TT is a very good tire, but a bit pricey and not something I would want to drive hard on, but good for a family car. None of the others on the list are ones I would even consider really.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
The Contis are still my traction tire of choice.
They were great in rain, snow and dry. They were the older version though.
They did have a tendency to flat-spot after a couple of days parked, but hey...it works itself out.

I've always thought that Pirellis rubber was always a little on the hard-side. Meaning a little more slick on wet pavement.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a few attempts to sell/trade my Prodrives, I decided to keep them and put them on the FSXT. I've gone back and forth on what color theme I want to do (black/red, silver/red, etc), so I thought about powder coating the wheels gloss black. The original finish on the Crystal Titanium P-WRC1s is really nice, though, so I'm still torn on powder coating these.

I ordered some tires yesterday from Tire Rack. I got the General Exclaim UHP in 225/45/18. I was looking for a decent all-around tire, and the G E UHPs are priced pretty well, too. This will be my workhorse wheel/tire setup, so most of the miles will be put on putting around town or on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
I'm running 225/45/18 on 7.5" rim, there is plenty of sidewall protecting the rim so I don't curb rash the wheels. Perfect size IMO unless you were going with 40 profile.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kinda small in the tire size.

Granted on 8" wheels I ran 245/40 and Ringer ran 235/45 and dave(local) ran 245/45. They looked very similiar.
I'm running 245/40/18 Dunlops on my PFF7s and they're a tad small, but they still look great. The 225/45/18/ should be a hair taller and a little narrower. I guess we'll see how it looks later this week! lol

225/45/18 is the stock size on the FSTi.
That's just about the same diameter as the OEM Geolanders, if not a little smaller. Tire Rack reports a diameter of 26".

I'm running 225/45/18 on 7.5" rim, there is plenty of sidewall protecting the rim so I don't curb rash the wheels. Perfect size IMO unless you were going with 40 profile.

Stan
Good to know, thanks Stan! I went with the 45 profile to get close to stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts