Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an issue with the rubber trim in my passenger side wheel well falling out when going through the car wash. It's not a huge deal as it will stay up when I clip it back in, but I'd like to employ a permanent fix. Has anyone had an issue with this? What did you use to keep it from falling out? Should I just yank it out and use something else?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
1,042 Posts
Do you mean the actual wheel well lining? Or just the trim/protector on the wheel well lip? If it's the latter, pull it off and get rid of it. All they do is trap water/dirt & cause rust.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the actual wheel well lining? Or just the trim/protector on the wheel well lip? If it's the latter, pull it off and get rid of it. All they do is trap water/dirt & cause rust.
Talking about the latter. I'll look into yanking it when it gets warmer. My todo list on this car is starting to grow; thankfully, it is all easy stuff.

·
Registered
2001 Forester auto
2 Posts
what about nicks and dents?

I have a similar issue (I think). Is the rubber molding in the pictures what we're talking about?

I understand the water trap argument for removing them, but doesn't this expose thin edges to nicks and dents, that could also lead to faster rusting?

Has anyone ever replaced these? If so, where did you find replacements?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,408 Posts
I believe the OP is referring to the fender liner or as Subaru call it, mud guard. :confused:

As to this part, the SG has that on the rear fenders. The part number below is for the '03-'08, so the SF part number could be different.

Rear fender plastic trim (welting) - Subaru calls it - PROTECTOR R - 91016SA000 - $27.24 each. You'll need one for each side! :icon_eek:

I bought couple for our '03 X from Jackie, SubaruPartsGirl, a supporting vender here on the forum. Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a similar issue (I think). Is the rubber molding in the pictures what we're talking about?
Yes. That rubber molding in your pictures is what I'm talking about. I should have posted pictures with the OP, my apologies. So what's the consensus? Remove it or replace it?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
I removed that rubber edging stuff from all of my fenders.
It was just causing dirt to get trapped, which assisted in the rusting on two of my cars. On my other car it was the first spot the tire would rub when I loaded it up. It had to be removed to roll my fenders though.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XS 5MT
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed that rubber edging stuff from all of my fenders.
It was just causing dirt to get trapped, which assisted in the rusting on two of my cars. On my other car it was the first spot the tire would rub when I loaded it up. It had to be removed to roll my fenders though.
Your location implies that you are within 100 miles of a Canadian border (if in the US) so I'm assuming that you endure the same salt treated roads that I do. I'll take that as a hint that the car will hold up just fine with regular washing. I typically wash once per week at the pay and spray bay by my house.

Obviously the one that keeps falling out will be easy to get out, what about the others? Should I look at hitting them with a heat gun to loosen any adhesive?

·
Administrator
41,408 Posts
Yes. That rubber molding in your pictures is what I'm talking about. I should have posted pictures with the OP, my apologies. So what's the consensus? Remove it or replace it?
The factory placed these ONLY on the rear fender edges to prevent paint damage from flying rocks & gravel. As I wrote previously, we bought replacements for my son's '03 X. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
Your location implies that you are within 100 miles of a Canadian border (if in the US) so I'm assuming that you endure the same salt treated roads that I do. I'll take that as a hint that the car will hold up just fine with regular washing. I typically wash once per week at the pay and spray bay by my house.

Obviously the one that keeps falling out will be easy to get out, what about the others? Should I look at hitting them with a heat gun to loosen any adhesive?

They should peel right out. IIRC, they are press fit, not glued. Both of mine came out without any effort.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts

I'm in Canada... so yes to the salt treatment in winter.
With regular washing and those rubber strips removed, the wheel arches actually stay cleaner than they do with the rubber.

·
Registered
2001 Forester auto
2 Posts
stay tuned

I bought couple for our '03 X from Jackie, SubaruPartsGirl, a supporting vender here on the forum. Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.

Bobby...

Thanks Bobby,

I'm going to order the replacements, and use them if it looks like they're actually doing their job when I remove the old ones and clean the wheel well edges. My 2001 Forester needs to be ready to roll for a road trip March 1...

I'll take pictures and share in this thread. I was only recently awarded ownership of my Forester, and am just beginning to probe all throughout the vehicle. It appears to be in immaculate shape, despite more than 12 years of coastal New England's salty roads and salty air.

Ben

·
Administrator
41,408 Posts
No road salt usage here in Oregon or Washington, so even our 19 year old Neon is rust free. :biggrin:
They do sand the roads during the winter... more like gravel, so we do get paint pitting. :frown:

When you replace the rubber trim, I'd recommend a through cleaning & a coat of undercoat or rust preventative paint on the dirty side of the fender edge. Once that's dry, you can push on the rubber trim & you'll know it's not hiding any rust. :wink:

Bobby...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts