Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a action packer box that I used to have had in the trunk of every vehicle I have ever owned. All those vehicles also had some form of non-slip rubbery cargo mat to keep stuff from sliding around on a turn. My 01 Forester never came with a non-slip mat in the cargo area and is just carpeted, so the box slips around more than a pair of strippers in a pool of KY.

One second to brain dump that image.

I'm looking for something to put in cargo area on the floor to keep things from sliding around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
what I did for my tool box in the back of my Malibu was buy some industrial velcro at home depot. Seems to hold it in place unless I get a little crazy in the corners.

·
Registered
2004 2.5X
31 Posts
Rubber mat works great. It's the first thing I buy for my car whenever I replace my subaru with another subaru!

Just remember to not EVER clean it with anything made to clean/polish plastic/rubber. It'll make it slippery for life(Ok. I'm exaggerating a bit, but seriously don't use it!). Just clean it with water and regular soap if needed and you'll be fine.

A friend sprayed car plastic cleaner on mine to "help out" while I was vacuuming and it never worked the same since.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a rubber mat is pretty much what i had in mind actually, i just didnt know if anyone had any good suggestions on any. ive looked at a few auto supply shops and only found rubbery floor mats, but theyre not what im looking for. i went to lowes/homedepot to see if they had any rubbery patio mats, but they didnt have anything that would work.

·
Registered
2004 2.5X
31 Posts
For the trunk area, I'd suggest the Subaru ones. They're tough, made of a thick rubber material, and fit the trunk properly. They also allow you to use the hook points on the floor of the trunk.

They've saved my trunk last weekend when a friend tossed her backpack with iced tea in a bottle that leaked all over my trunk. Since the rubber mat has a border that forms the hole thing into an enclosed area (think of a miniature swimming pool for spills in your trunk), all it took was wiping the area down with a rag and no stains on the carpet and no weird mold smells in the car!

That also reminds me when I went grocery shopping and a milk gallon leaked all over the trunk....

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,890 Posts
The Subaru cargo area liner is tremendous. Absolutely indestructible! Takes a heavy load and pops right back into shape. Shake it out if it gets dirty; hose it off if it gets really dirty! Search around here and you might find ViddyD's classic post about how his saved the floor of his Forester from the leaking, semi-frozen chicken carcasses he hauled in the back of his Forester for the restaurant he once managed.

Dealers have been known to sell these off pretty cheap since they won't fit the current models.

However, I wouldn't describe the liner as rubber. It's plastic, and not really non-skid. Get one, but then I'd recommend a small rubber mat under the box. Something like this toolbox drawer liner from Harbor Freight. I carry one of these in my Forester, if for no other reason than to kneel on when changing a tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts