Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5x 2006AT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and reading topics on the forum about replacing my sway bars. I have a reached a point where I am incredibly confused due to the massive amount of information. Basically I want my forester to handle a bit better and not have as much body roll. However I am not too sure as to what to get. I have a 2006 n/a forester 2.5xpremium. I do not know what exactly I need. I have read threads saying I dont really need to replace my FSB but if I did my back I would see a good improvement. What would I need to replace my back, new mounts, and new endlinks? I'm not even sure what RSBs are compatible. Would a 2006 sti RSB work and what other things would I need?
Any help is appreciated. I've looked at the whiteline, rallitek, and so on RSBs but I am lost as to what I can do, size/solid/hollow, and what I should do. I am at stock height.
Please help! The majority of the information I found was all about XTs and that confused me further.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
An 06 STi bar would work fine. Make sure you get the STi mounts too, they are beefier. Then add a set of Kartboy endlinks front and rear and enjoy the better handling. Some subframe locking bolts are a great bang for the buck too.

Your FSB is already a decent size (21mm) and is a good match for the STi rear bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
An 06 STi bar would work fine. Make sure you get the STi mounts too, they are beefier. Then add a set of Kartboy endlinks front and rear and enjoy the better handling. Some subframe locking bolts are a great bang for the buck too.

Your FSB is already a decent size (21mm) and is a good match for the STi rear bar.
What years would fit the RSB? Are the endlinks necessary and the mounts too?

My going plan, find a compatible RSB and mounts and then deal with links. Is that a good idea?

I found this https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=687
Would that work/is a good deal? Then I'd pick up some cartboy links later http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16194&cat=266&page=3 would that work for front and back. I remember reading somewhere that the FSB is the same as sti but im not sure.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
The first link you posted is exactly what you want. You can find them used for $50-$70 though.

Aftermarket ndlinks are not required, so you can just start out with the mounts and STi bar and go from there. Our stock endlinks are the same as what the STi comes with so it isn't a big deal if you reuse them. The FSB is the same size as the STi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first link you posted is exactly what you want. You can find them used for $50-$70 though.

Aftermarket ndlinks are not required, so you can just start out with the mounts and STi bar and go from there. Our stock endlinks are the same as what the STi comes with so it isn't a big deal if you reuse them. The FSB is the same size as the STi.
FS(MI) 04 STI Sway Bars, Rack N Pinion, suspension crossmember - NASIOC
Doesnt come with mounts though and is 2004 (gonna look around for some I guess). So the endlinks for the rear RSB are the same as stock STI ones? I will not be lowering or lifting the car really ever, so i shouldnt have to worry about the bar flipping I assume.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Our front bar is same as the STi's, I believe it's 19mm but some say it's 21mm. I can measure my stocker when I get home if you want. Regardless, upgrading the front bar to a Whiteline 24mm made a HUGE difference in steering response and front end grip. Granted, I already had a rear bar and other things upgraded, but it was still a tremendous improvement.

For the front, you don't need mounts or endlinks, stockers will work fine. KBs is what I run, I found the rears are noisy when the bar is adjusted stiffer, I'm actually going to try swapping back the stock endlinks on the rear. If anything, try to by adjustable bars so you can experiment and find the setting that works best for you.

Stan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our front bar is same as the STi's, I believe it's 19mm but some say it's 21mm. I can measure my stocker when I get home if you want. Regardless, upgrading the front bar to a Whiteline 24mm made a HUGE difference in steering response and front end grip. Granted, I already had a rear bar and other things upgraded, but it was still a tremendous improvement.

For the front, you don't need mounts or endlinks, stockers will work fine. KBs is what I run, I found the rears are noisy when the bar is adjusted stiffer, I'm actually going to try swapping back the stock endlinks on the rear. If anything, try to by adjustable bars so you can experiment and find the setting that works best for you.

Stan
I can measure once I get out of work, thanks for the offer though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the help, much appriciated! I decided since I have the cash to just go with the first link that had the complete kit. Didnt really want the headache of missing parts and dubious quality. Will update eventually when I install it.
Thank you again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts