Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 85000 Automatic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got an 09 Forester, non-turbo, 130k, and sometimes my rpm will drop when I go from R to D. This doesn't happen in the morning or all the time. Sometimes I'll go for a whole week and this doesn't happen. Not sure how to troubleshoot since I'm not a mechanic, plus parts cost money and it's not a cheap way to troubleshoot a problem.

Let me know,
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
715 Posts
and sometimes my rpm will drop when I go from R to D.
Do you mean shift from P to D?

This happens in my '99 when I cold start it, and I use this change to warm-up my engine at lower rpm's. Drops from about 1700 rpm in park to 1100 in neutral.

In your car, does this rpm change impact your driving?

·
Registered
2009 85000 Automatic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I messed up. I meant to say when I go from Park to Reverse. The RPM drop does not interfere with performance at all, however my engine doesn't always shift smoothly when I accelerate although I believe that is a different problem altogether.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
It's pretty normal for an automatic transmission to pull down the engine RPM when you shift into gear. You still have your foot on the brake and you've engaged a bunch more internal transmission components running in COLD fluid.

Now, as for the clean shifting, THAT would worry me. Read up about 4EAT transmission fluid flushes. If you have done a lot of HOT driving or towing in the hot parts of the country, your fluid could be getting old. Subaru does not officially recommend flushes , but you will find many of us that advocate it here. It can get into the realm of opinions fast though -- like whether just to drain the pan and replace (drain and fill) which replaces only 4.5 of like 8 quarts at a time, or to let a dealer "flush" the transmission. The later hypothetically replaces all the fluid. And hypothetically might stir up filings and crud and what not.

You can decided what to do. If your tranny is shifting a little funny, first I suppose would be to check the fluid level. You did that, right? And if its OK, then replacing some or all of the fluid is generally regarding as the next step.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts