Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been trying to decide on my choice of fluids for my forester. As I do keep my cars usually till they die on a road somewhere, money and fluids are never important to me. Well I decided to go with Royal Purple.

I was thinking of getting:

Royal Purple 5W-30 for the engine.
Royal Purple Synthetic Transmission Fluids For The 4speed AT
Royal Purple Max Gear Synthetic Gear Oil | 75W90 for the differentials.

Any one used Royal purple? What is your opinion if so? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,234 Posts
Better to stay with the Subaru HP ATF.
Royal Purple is just an "OK" oil. It has a habit of shearing down (Engine oil)

Let the oil wars begin.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Royal purple is overpriced junk. Others (including peaty) have found that its probably the absolute worst choice in the manual transmission.

For ATF I'd go with oem, it doesn't look like the royal purple meets the specs of the ATF-HP that subaru uses, so you'd be throwing away any warranty with that one (yes it has to be proven that it caused the fault, but if it doesn't meet the manufacturers specs, they won't care). Amsoil makes a decent ATF, but idk if it is for the newer transmissions (I use it in mine but it only asks for dex3).

For the Diffs I'd go with amsoil or mobil1, the mobil1 stuff is readily available and one of the better gear oils.

For the engine I'd use anything but RP, they have a strange formulation that isn't really better than other oils in anyway. I use mobil1 EP in my XT, but in an N/A I'd probably run the supertech synthetic or mobil clean 5000.

Not impressed with RP's 30 grade oils in Subaru turbos, but maybe it would do better in an n/a car.

-Dennis
For the extra cost, is there any reason to even try it though? I don't think so. I've never seen someone happy running it long term. The only people I see using it are the shows sponsored by RP on speed channel or powerblock etc.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thunks guys, I scratched off my list and I think I will go with amsoil for the engine, and differential, and stick to the oem ATF-HP for the trainy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts