Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I need to run audio cables from my head unit all the way to the back for my sub amp.

2) I need to route audio cables from the head unit to under the seats for my 4ch amp.

3) I need to run power from the battery to under the seats & to the rear for the amps.

4) Lastly I need to run a cable from the head unit to the rear hatch for my rear view camera.

I am assuming for the under the seat stuff I should go through the middle section by the e-brake and that for going to the rear I need to go under the doors. For power I'm not sure how I should go about that. I also don't know how I can run cables into the rear hatch.

Are there any good tutorials on some of these? I've kinda looked around to no success, mainly because not a lot of the threads had any pictures of these processes.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'm pretty sure it'd be a similar procedure as with any other car...
Best route to the rear is under the door sill plates... and I'm pretty sure that'd work pretty decent for getting power to under the seats too.
You can pull some of the centre console panels and route the under-seat wiring through that way, there is plenty of free space once you get under there, and that's actually where the OEM power seat wiring is run.

Wiring to the very back can easily be run under the foam storage under the cargo floor. They pop out easily enough... they're only held in with a couple little plastic clips.

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish there were good directions or a tutorial on working on the center console. I don't want to mess up anything in there.

Do you know if under the doors is there a conduit or should I just stuff the cables in there. I've never done anything like this before. I installed my own head unit but that was just replacing what was already there.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Do a search, there have been a lot of audio installs including mine with great pics and tips on how and what to do. Yes you can route down the sides, there's plenty of room for all sorts of wires. If you can install a deck you can do this as well.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
also a good thing to note is you usually want to run power on the opposite side of the car from the other audio wires. Long runs of straight wire laying next to each other will tend to cause interference usually leading to the dreaded alternator whine.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
I wish there were good directions or a tutorial on working on the center console. I don't want to mess up anything in there.
Have you figured out how to remove the center console as yet? I'm looking at running an iPod cable, and while looking at the Subaru manuals linked above... they state "remove the parking brake boot"...but I don't see how to do this. It seems to be attached to the console.

also a good thing to note is you usually want to run power on the opposite side of the car from the other audio wires. Long runs of straight wire laying next to each other will tend to cause interference usually leading to the dreaded alternator whine.
would it be posible to shield one of the cables to avoid this? Or is what I'm thinking just not possible at all? I would like to avoid pulling out both sides of my Foz...but I also want to do it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts