Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently purchased xti my06 forester here in Australia. Im very happy with the car except for the slight rough idle. I know this is normal due to uneven headers and engine configuration but can anything be done to fix it? I have seen some posts around here suggesting groudning kit but Im very sceptical that if this was the fix subaru wouldnt do this from factory. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have a rough idle on my 05 as well. It's most noticeable when the engine is warm and it seems to have a miss here and there. Nothing major, the revs don't seem to drop at all.

Is this a fact of life with this vehicle or could a grounding kit fix it?

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
reflash should smooth the idle out some. equal length header would eliminate alot of the "thump" associated with the boxer motor.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I'm going to check my VIN # against the above TSB also. Is there a known ecu reflash out there? My guess is the software on mine could be quite old. If there was a more recent release then maybe I'll ask them to do that if I get the oil changed at 1000. No changing of headers for me.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Interesting. I think my vehicle is affected by the AVCS union screw issue. My 05 has a build date of 12/04. VIN # is 5*743907 and the TSB says the update was started on vehicle 5*767423. So I guess I need to have this done.

I guess I'll bring my car in and get the 1000 mile oil change performed and request this procedure to be done as well as maybe the ECU reflash (if available).

I guess I have a very early 05 model.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
I had pretty good luck by increasing the base idle on my 04 up to 800rpm. It can be done with Delta Dash or a dealership can as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thnx guys.

I dont have a stuttering when accelerating problem. It only happens after engine is warm at idle, not 2 rough but just enough to piss you off. I took it to the dealership about a week ago becuase my cd changer took a cd and wouldnt give it back. The car's stearing wheel was also off centre. I told them about the rough idle and they said it is normal and gave me another 06 forester to take and drive for the day. Exactly the same thing happened at idle. So.. I guess ill just have to live with it.
I know that my next new car is going to be a mercedes :grin:

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Side benefit of the Cobb AP is that it also smooths out the rough idle...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I'm not sure if I really have a legitimite basis for my unhappiness but my first real service visit was not what I wanted.

I brought the 05 XT in for its first oil change at 1263 miles. In addition I wanted them to address the AVCS filter TSB as well as the rough idle. The car doesn't idle rough, per se, but it's got a pretty health "bump" while idling warm. Not a big deal as the RPMs do not fluctuate but still it's 2006 and the idle shouldn't be THIS lumpy.

Well, they performed the steps in the TSB that deals with advance angle and found it to be within spec therefore they did not do anything with regards to the banjo bolt filters.

Regarding the rough idle they did not notice it all. Jesus...how could you not? I guess there's no ECU update available either. Unless they performed it during the post-delivery cleaning I find it hard to believe there's no ECU update for my 05 that was manufactured in 12/04.

Then the oil change. Nothing really wrong except they put in 10W-30. Currently in the Northeast it's around zero degrees Fahrenheit with the windchill. I asked why it had 10W-30 when the filler cap says 5W-30. The response was that's what they put in cars for the summer. Hmm...sure doesn't feel like summer outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts