Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be able to "feel" it when my car flips into AWD? I know it's always in AWD, but I mean when the power switches more to the rear wheels. I never noticed it before this winter, but now I feel (for lack of a better word) a banging when the rear wheels kick in. It's making me a little worried......

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Its most likely worn bushings in the rear end that you're feeling. The diff is probably banging around after taking up some driveline slack.

·
Registered
2002 Forester XS
57 Posts
Should I be able to "feel" it when my car flips into AWD? I know it's always in AWD, but I mean when the power switches more to the rear wheels. I never noticed it before this winter, but now I feel (for lack of a better word) a banging when the rear wheels kick in. It's making me a little worried......
Is yours auto or manual? They use quite different mechanical systems to distribute torque front and rear.

There is certainly drivetrain slack in my car. Not so much it 'flipping' into AWD as just the slack being taken up in the transition from acceleration to engine braking and vice-versa. A bit annoying.

·
Registered
99 Forester S
685 Posts
When I got 'stuck' in the snow last winter, I felt a little kick when it engaged to the back wheels. I put it down in 1 to get out (Automatic) because I heard that 1 and 2 have a 50-50 split front to back. It didn't kick at all then.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is yours auto or manual? They use quite different mechanical systems to distribute torque front and rear.

There is certainly drivetrain slack in my car. Not so much it 'flipping' into AWD as just the slack being taken up in the transition from acceleration to engine braking and vice-versa. A bit annoying.
It's an auto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts