Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5x Auto
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gf has had her 05 2.5x since new, the original tires have about 54k on them and they're coming up for replacement.

the spare tire is still new and never used. we would buy all new Yoko tires, but they're damn expensive.

so, we're going to replace all 5 tires in the car and i think we'll rotate in the spare so if one goes bad, the spare won't have a disparate size difference and potentially cause drive-train issues.

i worked at 2 tire shops and I became aware of the Subaru's being very sensitive to tire size differences.

so, what do you all do or suggest?

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
I do a 5 tire rotation with the spare for that reason.
At what mileage intervals :icon_question::icon_question::icon_question:
I started at 5k mls and will continue at those intervals, but the spare will stay in boot/trunk and only ever be used if needed.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
My spare is just for emergencies, the same as the donut that comes in newer models. I never use it for more than a few miles (otherwise I just put a plug in or call AAA). Neither my summer nor winter tires are the same size or rims as my spare, so it just sits in my trunk.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
308 Posts
4 tire rotation (fronts to rear, rears cross sides to front) every other oil change.

Seems to be a good compromise of effort vs. tire life on the AWD vehicles I've owned.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
4 tire rotation (fronts to rear, rears cross sides to front) every other oil change.
Same for my OEM tires, per Subaru maintenance and service instructions. "Every other oil change" = ~7,500 miles.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
6,091 Posts
Not saying you are wrong. But IO can't spend a career rotating tires. I think (as was mentioned)..every other oil change seems reasonable.
Yeah, it's a little much, but it takes a few minutes, so why not? The more aggressively you drive the more often you should rotate. I've had great results and zero uneven tire wear with those intervals.

Seems to be a good compromise of effort vs. tire life on the AWD vehicles I've owned.
You do realize you can't cross directional tires right? Only front to rear, rear to front.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,185 Posts
I rotate my tires seasonally, every spring i have my summer tires marked, and rotate them accordingly and every winter i do the same with my snows. I'm actually amazed at how well my tires wear considering how hard/much i drive and i've never had an alignment either (I tried a couple times, but everytime they check the car, it's perfect).

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Every other Oil change

That's 24000mls for us Diesel boys :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5x Auto
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are any of your doing a 5-tire rotation WITH directional tires?

Left side: Front to Back only

Right side: Front to Spare, Spare to Back, Back to Front

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5x Auto
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
directional tires will usually have a directional arrow molded into the sidewall showing the direction of rotation. The tread design usually will form a V in one direction. These cannot be crossed over during rotation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts