Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm now to the point I want to rotate my tires at home since the guys at the tire store seem to strip out the lugs.

I've got a floor jack and 2 stands. I can see the jacking point for the OEM jack and I have tried using this along with a block of wood. I can get the car high enough but to find a decent place to put the stand. The recommended place to put the stand is so close to the jacking point that it ain't gonna work.

I tried using the read diff but it raises the tires fine but not the car high enough to get the jack stand into the sweet spot, and since I'm swapping tires F & R same side I can't see the logic in spending too much time in the rear diff method.

So, anybody run into this b4 and have a solution? thanks

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know why this thread was moved to the tire section. This is not about "tires" this is about maintenance. That's why I put it in the "maintenance" section.

read the thread not the title.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
When I did Front to Rear I used 2 jacks... and did it really fast and careful.. loosened the lugs first. Now I'm doing RF to RR to LF to LR to RF and I'm using the OEM jack and the spare pony tire leaving on the first hub and getting it at the end.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Now I'm doing RF to RR to LF to LR to RF and I'm using the OEM jack and the spare pony tire leaving on the first hub and getting it at the end.
Same here.

Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I do it with the stock scissor jack and use the stock spare on the "off" wheel as well.

When jacking from the rear diff, I usually put the jack stands on the rear diff outrigger plates (the plates under the circular brackets that attach to the arms coming from the front of the rear diff mount). In the front I jack from the jacking plate on the crossmember and put the jackstands under the back ends of the subframe brace usually.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I'm not grasping this.

I just want to raise up one side and jack stand 2 points in the name of safety, swap the tires and move to the other side.

The raise and jack stand points are in conflict.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I jack up the front and place the jack stands on the plates near the control arms then jack up the rear using the rear diff, remove all 4 tires and rotate same side f to B since my tires are directional.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
^^I jack mine up the same way. I place the jackstands in the designated jacking spots though. If you have the taller jackstands (4 ton?), they will be difficult to fit under the car, but the smaller 2 ton jackstands work fine.

If all else fails, use the spare and swap wheels one at a time like Monkey suggests.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
If you have the means and a place to store them, I recommend buying another set of jackstands. Jack up the front of the car from the center points and get the entire car off the ground. It speeds things up.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Can it harm the rear diff having all the weight concentrated on it like that? I used to do my HHR that way (three raise points) but it didn't have a rear diff it had a cross member there.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Can it harm the rear diff having all the weight concentrated on it like that? I used to do my HHR that way (three raise points) but it didn't have a rear diff it had a strong cross member there.
Haven't cracked mine yet.:biggrin: I've been jacking up cars by there pumpkins for so long, I didn't even consider if this car could take it. Seems to be okay though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts