Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first rotation at 10K. I have found info about jacking and placement of jackstands here and there on this forum, but some is confusing and for models earlier than the 2009.

I jacked the rear by placing the floor jack (racing type) under the rear diff with a block of wood to "pad' it. Then I placed jackstands under the pinched welds that are shown in the owner's manual, designed for the sissors jack. That worked well.

The front was more difficult. I'd like to just jack one side at a time and change the wheel while it's on the floor jack. I used the "frame rails" as close to the front as I could. Although it worked, I had the car balancing on the jack so that the rear tire was actually moving up and down off the jackstand. No....I didn't like that at all, but since it was elevated and seemed stable, I finished the job.

I would rather lift it from a far front location and place a jackstand appropriately, but I could not find a good jack location or jackstand location to work with.

What suggestions can anyone offer?

Bob

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
ain't there a jackplate at the front like the older models got?

For jackstand locations I don't know. :icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
There are two different adapters I use with my floor jack. The first is a flat part with a hard rubber pad on it. I use that for the rear diff. The second is an adapter that fits the frame rails so I don't beat the crap out of them.

I think there's pictures of both over at scoobymods. IIRC Peaty had a set of those and I think that's where I got my info from.

If you look in the manual, it should show the approved jacking locations.

HTH

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are two different adapters I use with my floor jack. The first is a flat part with a hard rubber pad on it. I use that for the rear diff. The second is an adapter that fits the frame rails so I don't beat the crap out of them.

I think there's pictures of both over at scoobymods. IIRC Peaty had a set of those and I think that's where I got my info from.

If you look in the manual, it should show the approved jacking locations.

HTH
Thanks. I just use a short section of 2X4 on the plate of the floor jack when lifting the rear diff. Your rubber pad is likely better, but I don't know where to find one.

But I checked out Peaty's ideas for lifting at the pinch welded areas. I disagree that the lift pionts are on the two sides of the pinched welded area. I believe that the lift should be directly on the pinched weld. the groove in the custom jack plate should only be for positioning and stability. Not putting pressure on the rocker areas. Opinions please!

Re the frame rails, I would like to cushion them better, but where would I find an adapter for my floor jack lift pad??

Bob

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Try here:

Floor Jack Adapter For Late Model Cars

This works extremely well for the rails.

The other product was called a "Soft Lifter Jack Pad" and was also sold by the same people, but I can't find it now. I'm glad I have one, although I used to get by with a hockey puck on the jack. Something to be said for one piece construction. I especially like it for the front plate jacking point as I really don't want anything to slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts