Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may be naive or ignorant on my part, but I see all of these guys with the really really high dollar stuff running without air cleaners. Some of the front mount turbos look like there is NO possible way to get an air cleaner on them. Am I missing something, or did filtering air just become not so important? Just asking an honest question here...

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
This may be naive or ignorant on my part, but I see all of these guys with the really really high dollar stuff running without air cleaners. Some of the front mount turbos look like there is NO possible was to get an air cleaner on them. Am I missing something, or did filtering air just become not so important? Just asking an honest question here...
Guess it's the "cool" thing to do at the moment. :biggrin: I personally think it's ridiculous and really have no sympathy for when they do ruin their high dollar setup for doing something as stupid as running straight air into the turbo/engine.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, so that is what's going on then. Isn't that against the rules! So does big buzzy the bumblebee know to head for the bumper as opposed to straight into the turbine? Uffda.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
when you have a big hp setup like that, the air filter/intake system becomes a restriction. its really not meant for street use, because you could possibly suck something in2 the turbocharger. thats why youll see a screen/meshing over the turbo inlet sometimes...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,241 Posts
This may be naive or ignorant on my part, but I see all of these guys with the really really high dollar stuff running without air cleaners. Some of the front mount turbos look like there is NO possible way to get an air cleaner on them. Am I missing something, or did filtering air just become not so important? Just asking an honest question here...
Like this one. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
when you have a big hp setup like that, the air filter/intake system becomes a restriction. its really not meant for street use, because you could possibly suck something in2 the turbocharger. thats why youll see a screen/meshing over the turbo inlet sometimes...
Yep, its really meant for a racing setup that ignorant folk have copied for the street. Any restriction at all causes the pressure ratio to not be in your favor, which is why on racecars you not only see no intake, but the turbo is often positioned to get ram air from the body work.

This is obviously a horrible idea on the street as you have foreign objects, dirt, sand, dust, water, and plenty of other things that could destroy your compressor wheel, not to mention work their way through the motor.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yep, its really meant for a racing setup that ignorant folk have copied for the street. Any restriction at all causes the pressure ratio to not be in your favor, which is why on racecars you not only see no intake, but the turbo is often positioned to get ram air from the body work.

This is obviously a horrible idea on the street as you have foreign objects, dirt, sand, dust, water, and plenty of other things that could destroy your compressor wheel, not to mention work their way through the motor.
Also on high $$ builds, they're probably going to be pulling it all apart pretty often so its not as big of a deal as on a daily driver.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, someday I'll have the ability to have a project car and keep it parked. I guess until then I'll be forced to drive my project car. I will keep saving money for that day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts