Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will these rims withstand mild off road (those that know my trip please comment on these rims)? I do like forestry roads, dry rivers etc.

I will not run steelies for 8 months of the year on my FXT.

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I've never owned a set. But I'd say you can find an equally good looking wheel that will hold up better. Something a little heavier duty. What size are you thinking? That will make a difference obviously. A lower profile tire = more risk off road!

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
As long as you're not going a bigger rim you'll be good for basic off road then. I stuck a 16in rim on mine (but for rally style/gravel tires as I'm lower now) to keep a beefier tire on it. As for a 17 in rim it's up to you, I'm sure they handle light duty off road but I'd personally want something a bit heavier.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
They'll hold up better than steelies at least. If you slide into a rock/curb though they'll crack instead of bending like the steelies. Rotas are just as strong as any other cast wheel.

I've beat mine around offroad decently and haven't had any issues.

If you're going to only be using them offroad/in the winter, you might want to look into some 16" wheels. The oem XT 16's are great for beating around on or the oldschool XS cookie cutters.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Rotas are tough. In the 6 years I've had my SDR's on the car they have withstood tons of off-roading, rally-xing, yumps, you name it. I've bent struts and control arms, busted bushings and hubs, but have never damaged one of my Rotas.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The only thing you might look out for is chipping the paint (since they're painted and clear-coated they suffer a little on gravel at high speeds), but it you can buy touch-up paint from wheeldude.com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wheel offset?

I have been looking at the Rota Torques as well. Does anyone know the offset for these wheels? I know it would probably be different for a wider wheel.
17x7 offset?=
17x8 offset?=

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
They'll hold up better than steelies at least. If you slide into a rock/curb though they'll crack instead of bending like the steelies. Rotas are just as strong as any other cast wheel.
Wrong,you can bend a steelie back on the trail if you have to.
Good luck with a cracked Rota (or any other cast wheel).

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I smacked my car into a snowbank-covered rock (understeered on ice) pretty hard, I thought the whole side of the car was toast. Turns out my left front Rota Tarmac 3 took the hit -- thank God. Both driver-side control arms bent very badly, tiny scratch and crack on the bumper cover -- that was it. The wheel got scratched but that was it also -- it didn't crack and stayed true. I drove the car on those wheels for a while before selling them, and even did a track day.

You should be fine, Rotas are a strong wheel.

Another very strong cast wheel is the Prodrive P7, it was designed for rallying and will withstand an explosion. They are 17x7 and are cheap, I sold my very clean set with worn tires for like $400 locally.

Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts