Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been thinking about getting a roof-top tent for camping (especially for a little trip to Alaska im planning) and i'm wondering about weights. I'm looking at something like http://www.autohomeus.com/index.php like their OverLand or OverCamp models, being that most people claim the fiberglass models tent to break quite quickly.

Their website has a little explanation that helpfully includes the Forester (“What Will Fit?” — sizing your AutoHome roof top tent). However i wonder if my 200lbs (plus maybe girlfriend) is would be too much for those poor roof.

Any opinions? And don't suggest a diet, im about as skinny as i can possibly be (210lbs and 24% Body Fat)

·
Registered
2010 Forester
93 Posts
Check this out: Subaroute - GetJealous.com Travel Blogs

These guys are going around the world and are using a roof tent.

So i've been thinking about getting a roof-top tent for camping (especially for a little trip to Alaska im planning) and i'm wondering about weights. I'm looking at something like Welcome to AutoHomeUSA - Suppliers of Roof Top Tent Campers for SUVs, vans, trucks, or cars like their OverLand or OverCamp models, being that most people claim the fiberglass models tent to break quite quickly.

Their website has a little explanation that helpfully includes the Forester (“What Will Fit?” — sizing your AutoHome roof top tent). However i wonder if my 200lbs (plus maybe girlfriend) is would be too much for those poor roof.

Any opinions? And don't suggest a diet, im about as skinny as i can possibly be (210lbs and 24% Body Fat)

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Living on top

Rooftop tents are fantastic. We have years and years of experience with roof tents on Land Rovers –*and have just ordered a tent for our new Forester.

I would stay away from EezyAwn and similar designs, if your travels include long hauls and freeway miles. The noise and wind resistance generated by these huge square boxes, is a huge p.i.t.a!

Choose a tent contained in a fiberglass case, like the Autohome Maggiolina, Columbus Variant, etc. They are quiet and fairly aerodynamically efficient, and much easier and quicker to pitch.

Load / weight is not a problem. What is listed as "maximum load" in your car manual, is applicable to the weight on the roof while driving the car.

M

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rooftop tents are fantastic. We have years and years of experience with roof tents on Land Rovers –*and have just ordered a tent for our new Forester.

I would stay away from EezyAwn and similar designs, if your travels include long hauls and freeway miles. The noise and wind resistance generated by these huge square boxes, is a huge p.i.t.a!

Choose a tent contained in a fiberglass case, like the Autohome Maggiolina, Columbus Variant, etc. They are quiet and fairly aerodynamically efficient, and much easier and quicker to pitch.

Load / weight is not a problem. What is listed as "maximum load" in your car manual, is applicable to the weight on the roof while driving the car.

M
I've heard those fiberglass tents can tend to crack with ended use, and the price is quite prohibitive! Otherwise i wouldn't mind a maggolina, but jeese!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
I've heard those fiberglass tents can tend to crack with ended use, and the price is quite prohibitive! Otherwise i wouldn't mind a maggolina, but jeese!
Hi
I am not sure what you mean by "with ended use", but we have no experience with the tents cracking (we are selling roof tents in one of our businesses). The fiber glass is reinforced and layed up like a boat hull. What you may have heard about is hairline fracture in the gelcoat. They can appear in older tents that have been subjected to stress, but they are entirely superfiscial and does not mean the tent box is cracked.

Concerning price – at least in european markets, a Columbus is no more expensive than a Eezy Awn. The Maggiolinas are a little more, but no more than you will make up in milage, on a couple of long trips.

:Banane35:

·
Registered
2004 Forester Automatic
5 Posts
I love Eezi-Awn (and similar styles), but I have to agree with DieselBoxer...it's just too much of a brick for the roof of a Foz. James Baroud's Horizon is a good fit, as are AutoHome's lightest models. I'd hold off a bit if you can though, there are more than a few new ultralight options hitting the market. Even Yakima is getting in the game.

The roof's weight limits are determined based on a vehicle in motion, I doubt you'll have any issues sleeping up there while parked. Our rooftent was around 130 pounds, plus myself at 180 and wife at 140—the Foz didn't seem to notice. I do recommend replacing the factory crossbars with a sturdy (metal) set of aftermarket units first (Yakima has served me well). As for the tent, stay as low profile as possible and shoot for 120-pounds or less. You'll know it's up there, but the Foz will still handle pretty well since they sit nice and low.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts