Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some new toys for my 2019 Forester from REI this past weekend:

• Yakima Timberline Towers
  • Yakima Jetstream Bars
  • Yakima Skyrise 3

I will be giving it a full run through next weekend on a quick camping trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
154 Posts
Looking forward to some reports. FWIW, it's raining again here, but just a little. Although weather reports seem good before too long. Hope so. I've got church outings planned to both a local botanic garden and Joshua Tree on the next two weekends. But we've onloy been rained out a couple of times in many, many years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delay everyone.

I took the Yakima roof top tent out for a test run 2 weekends ago. No major issues. Got it up and mounted on the rack relatively easily with 2 people. The Yakima rack/tent interface makes it much easier to take on and off than some of the other RTT systems I've seen.

The ladder took the longest to set up as it is finicky in it's locking positions. I think most of the issue was user error/inexperience and I expect it to get easier over time.

We slept on the stock foam mattress the first night and it was comfortable. I could feel the platform underneath (through the foam) only when sleeping on my side.

The wifey ran to Target and got a memory foam topper for the second night and it was VERY COMFY! When we packed everything up we left the topper and double sleeping bag in there and folded everything up.

I've got another short weekender planned in 2 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I took the Yakima roof top tent out for a test run 2 weekends ago.
I’m curious if you noticed the 40 (or more) zipper pulls rattling when ever there was tent movement. I just recently purchase a SkyRise from Yakima but haven’t put it to use yet. During the initial setup, I certainly was alerted to the jingle of them all. I hate zipper rattle so I’m replacing the metal pulls with nylon cord type.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not notice it... although I wasn't really paying attention to it. Replacing the pulls with paracord or something similar would definitely be a good remedy if that is something that bothers you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another great weekend camping last weekend with the new roof top tent. We took the rain fly off since the weather was nice. The ventilation and visibility increase was really nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
366 Posts
I took the Yakima roof top tent out for a test run 2 weekends ago.
I’m curious if you noticed the 40 (or more) zipper pulls rattling when ever there was tent movement. I just recently purchase a SkyRise from Yakima but haven’t put it to use yet. During the initial setup, I certainly was alerted to the jingle of them all. I hate zipper rattle so I’m replacing the metal pulls with nylon cord type.
I have noticed this in my SkyRise, one very windy night in particular. This is a great idea to replace the pulls. I may do that the next time I have it set up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
@MFUNSHINE I have the exact setup. Would you mind sharing the measurements on your rack? What is the bar spread? What is the distance from the front of the rails to the front bar? What is the distance from the rear of the rails to the rear bar?
What reference did you use to set up?
I couldn’t find any instructions for the 2019. I opted to put my bars further back in an effort to maintain as much of the sunroof as possible.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have noticed this in my SkyRise, one very windy night in particular.
My first outing was so quiet. The replacement pulls I sourced in a 50-pack via Amazon. Cheap fix, if it’s deemed a problem.

Not that you specifically asked me, but as far as rack setup, I have the bars spaced 34” apart. This is due to the cargo box I also utilize at times, as 34” is the max it can handle. I shifted the rack forward enough so the open rear hatch would clear the box, as well as the rear tire if a bike is mounted up top. This way I just keep the crossbars on all the time in the same orientation and swap accessories as needed. The rear of the vehicle seems to be easily effected by additional weight so I also wanted to balance it out a little as well. Yakima has more details regarding setup on the ‘19 Forester. It’s located under the “Technical Fit Lookup” in the “Support” area. Or...
Yakima Infolookup

·
Registered
366 Posts
@coregrind What is the measurement from the rear of the rails to your rear bar?
I’m just worried I have my bars too far back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
@coregrind What is the measurement from the rear of the rails to your rear bar?
Please see the pic below for reference. For the rear bar, the strap of the Timberline tower is 4.5" from the tip at the top of the plastic cap on the factory side rails. By words alone, I'm sure that doesn't make sense so that's why I went and grab a pic. I hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
261 Posts
I'm curious if you had looked at the Thule crossbars at all, I will be buying the Treeline roof top tent for my 19 Forester and they suggested the Thule EVO Wingbars. I don't want to buy the wrong crossbars as they are not cheap. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
45 Posts
Has anyone tried a roof basket (e.g. Bajarack Mule: https://www.bajarack.com/store/The-Mule-p101971703) plus Bajarack tent crossbars (https://www.bajarack.com/store/Crossbars-Small-p105224210) plus tent (e.g. Tepui Low-Pro-2: https://tepui.com/products/low-pro-2)?

The dynamic load limit on the 2019 Forester is 176 lbs (roof rails + everything on top included). With most of the tents being between 95 and 110 lbs (with many going well over that), it doesn't seem like the combo I'm suggesting is going to be practical.

Yakima Jetstream Crossbars (small): 8.5 lbs (https://www.yakima.com/jetstream)
Bajarack Mule: 39 lbs (https://www.bajarack.com/store/The-Mule-p101971703)
Bajarack tent crossbars (small): Unknown (https://www.bajarack.com/store/Crossbars-Small-p105224210)
Tepui Low-Pro-2 Tent (folds low, relatively lightweight): 105 lbs (https://tepui.com/products/low-pro-2)

Weight is at 152.5 lbs without the Bajarack tent crossbars. If I assume they're 10 lbs (steel tube and plate), that puts the weight at 162.5 lbs. Assuming the sizing for all of those is exact, that only leaves 13.5 lbs for additional gear in the basket. I suppose that would be fine for lightweight stuff like bedding, sleeping bags, etc (assuming fair weather or waterproof storage).

I'd love a sanity check here. Is it practical to try to use a basket + tent on a 2019 Forester? I don't have a garage to store either in, so I'm not in a position where I can take one or the other off and store it when I'm not using it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You’ll be limited not only to the weight of items you put into the basket, but also the size.
Have you considered a hitch-mounted cargo basket. We opted for that and it has performed wonderfully.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
45 Posts
Thanks, supasta. I'm looking into hitch-mounted cargo baskets now, and I think that's the best solution for my tent + storage problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts