Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2006 X n/a.

I am looking for a recommendation on an aftermarket roof-top carrier to fit my subie? It has the original aero crossbars. If possible, I hope to use these with the cargo carrier unless they are too limiting to load I can carry. Thank you.

I've heard how a roof-top cargo carrier is as rough on a car as towing a trailer. What is everyone's experience? Thank you.

Higgley

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I've driven all over with my cargo box and I did not notice much of an MPG drop. Wind noise is increased, but it is not bad at all. I'd much rather use the cargo box than tow my trailer.

Yakima and Thule make great carriers, so it really depends on the size your want to go with. For the most part they will all work with your stock crossbars too. I personally didn't want to spend $400 on a new Yakima box and I couldn't find any good used deals so I bought a new Karrite (SportRack) Explorer box for under $100 at GI Joes SPorting goods. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f80/karrite-explorer-18cu-ft-cargo-box-33924/

]

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Pros of roof box:
1. Water proof
2. More aerodynamic so it does not suck gas as much as bag type.
3. Could be locked.

Cons of roof box:
1. Could be a challenge to load
2. Indoor parking height clearance could be a problem but its OK on my Forester and standard 7" tall garage door.

I would recommend putting the box as far forward as possible. It seems they got noisy the more the rear end sag. Get the one with front hinge. They tend to be a bit safer (less tendency to pop open by itself) although could be more hassle to load.

I do have a hitch cargo carrier. I only use them for dirty stuff like mulches/fertilizer. They overhang pretty far from the back of the car and could be rough on the chassis.

Sears carry pretty decent roof box.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Automotive_Exterior+Accessories_Car+Top+&+Hitch+Carriers

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check out the Thule Sidekick...

We just got one shipped from Amazon for $215.95. Some minor assembly required (get another pair of hands - DAMHIK!) and, for ease of use, it is side opening. Works great with the stock crossrails :biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I had the roof top box (SkyBox 16) and sold it for a Basket.

The basket will hold uniquely shaped items. It can be locked using something as cheap as a bike lock.

The basket also holds the roof top bags without touching the paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts