Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this will seem like an "odd" post to some, but here goes ... has anyone gone through the job of figuring out how to remove the roof rails from an '09/'10 Forester X-Premium (or other variant that comes with them standard from the factory)? I suspect the parts exist to do this conversion, as the base model X comes without them, but I haven't seen a good parts diagram to try to figure out how to do this, or if it is even possible. The parts guys at the dealer that I bought my Foz from had not a clue.

Reason I ask ... I don't really have a use for the roof rails, and like the "clean look" of not having them on, and also the ease of washing / drying the roof if the rails are not there. I did this mod on the '05 Honda Odyssey that preceded this Forester, and never missed the removed rails on that vehicle. The Odyssey was pretty easy to convert ... and there are great exploded view Honda OEM parts diagrams out there in cyberspace to compare the Oddy models that have them vs. the ones that don't, so figuring out what parts I had to buy was a piece of cake.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
Hello einy, I don't know how to remove the roof rail but if you ever figure it out, can I buy the unwanted roof rail from you. I have a 2010 Forester X and I love the look of it. Thanks

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, neoshi ... that helps alot. From what I'm seeing, though, the roof rails bolt on from the inside of the roof panel, so I would have to take out the headliner to get at the bolts. Not sure I'm up for doing that ... but I might decide to give it a go anyway! As far as selling the removed rails, should I do this mod, probably not. I kept the ones that I took off of the Odyssey, which was a good thing, as the buyer of that vehicle would have passed if I didn't have them ... they have a big family, and planned on using them to carry debris on family vacations, etc.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Yeah, from what I have heard you have to remove the rails via the interior of the vehicle. You gotta get at those bolts by removing the headliner. Which I am strongly considering doing after a misinformed parts dealer assured me that attaching my yakima bars to the factory rails would only cost me $25 (NOT the case!!) parts guy --> :chair: <-- me

I have a control tower set up from a 2008 WRX that I loved. Complete system, ready to go . . . all I gotta do is get rid of those damn factory rails.

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for those links ... I'm feeling inspired (once again) to get to the task of removing my roof rails ... !

·
Registered
2010 Ltd
8 Posts
So EINY, if you did the rail removal, I'd like to confirm that you had to remove your headliner, or at least let it sag down along the sides of the car. Also about how many bolts hold the rail down, and can you tell me anything about the spacing. I want to remove my rails temporarily, add artificial rain gutters on the side toward the center of the car, and then put my rails back on. I'm hopeful that I can just use the bolt holes which are already there.

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As of now, I still haven't gotten to that task ... so unfortuantely, I can't comment back on what the job actually takes. I still have it on the (infinitely long) list of things to do, but attempting to finish my basement build out project is taking priority, along with cutting the grass every 3-4 days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts