Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in that awkward stage of doing incessant comparisons between my beloved late '00 Forester and my fierce '06 XT....I'm sure most of you can relate...
The most annoying issue is how the roof rails on the '06 have practically receded into the body, design-wise, as not to include any slots in which to thread tie-down straps through. I'm an artist, and I hauled a lot of stuff on my '00's rack, and without those slots, I'm going to have to annoyingly reinvent the system....OR....
Does anyone know if its possible to replace the roof rails with different ones that are more functional??
Has anyone ever modified their roof rails?
Or, lastly, are there further attachment accessories that might do the trick?
Thanks in advance for any insights into this issue!

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
I am like the OP. I hate that my Forester doesn't have loop holes in the roof rails. Now the OEM (aero style) cross bars that came with my Forester, like knickl06's first link, do allow me to loop around the end, but the way that it is designed, the rope gets pinched and makes it more difficult to tighten and untie.

I noticed some model years have, what looks like the same style roof rails, but with loop holes in the end pieces. I wonder if the end pieces are interchangeable. Does anyone know. Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
2006 XT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nickl - thanks so much for posting those links...I'm totally going to investigate those options!
James - that red Forester was from the same era as my old one, which I'm slowly discovering was way more utility oriented...it seems like my new '06 is almost too fancy for what I need!
I have been envisioning an accessory that is like the clamp ends of a roof rail cross-bar, but alone and with nice big slots on them, so you could attach them anywhere along the rail, and have instant tie-down slots...maybe I have to get prototyping and invent something myself...!

·
Registered
2000 FORESTER
1 Posts
Hi, i'm a newbie. My sister just gave me a 2000 Forester. I'm trying to move the bars that connect the roof rails so I can car-top my kayak. She has lost the manual. I unscrewed the end of the bars, but it's still not loosened up to be moved. Help! Thanks in advance for any info. -Hieu Update - I called my sister who said that she had never used the cross bars (10 yrs and 150K ago). I figured that the bars just needed some musles to get loose...and that's what did it. I'm going kayaking now : ) -Hieu

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
104 Posts
You could always clamp two bars perpendicular to the crossbars along each side of the car, it would give a lot more tie down options and possibly strengthen the holding power of the crossbars by connecting them to one another.

Or just cut some holes through the factory roof rails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts