Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a 2010 Forester base with a naked roof. I am going to get a base rack (cross bars) and will eventually get a cargo basket. My question is, it looks like you don't really need those side rails (the ones that run from front to back) to put any of the cargo carriers or other roof items on the subies, so what are they for?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
With side rails, you'll need something like the Railgrab to attach the cross bars. Without side rails, you'll need something like a tower to attach the cross bars to the roof.

The cross bars then support the cargo basket and/or other loads. Check out these great pix from Subieoutlaw.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will I need the towers if I order the bars from say subaruonlineparts.com, or would they come with everything I needed to attach them, as I don't have side rails on my base X. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
This roof carrier base (cross bar kit) for the base Forester X appears to be complete. However, the cross-section shape of the cross bars might limit accessory mounting options. It appears that the supplied towers must be attached at four specific roof locations, and this fixed spacing -- especially front-to-rear -- could also limit mounting flexibility.

It appears that the Subaru H/D cargo basket or the regular cargo basket can be attached to the roof carrier base kit. However, it also appears that you'll need a set of the roof carrier base clamps to do so. The cargo baskets appear to be Yakima products, so you may wish to shop around a bit.

H/D cargo basket instructions
Regular cargo basket instructions

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of these kits, so you may want to look for verification of my analysis.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I purchased the roof carrier base (made by Monte Blanc-branded Subaru) and then the Yakima Load Warrior and Load Warrior Extension. Worked out just fine-barely. The mount spacing for the carrier base is about 1.5 to 2 inches too close together to center the Load Warrior crossbar mounts exactly. Got close enough to hold well-and that is all that matters. I purchased the Subaru carrier base kit from my dealer for $185-way less than Yakima Q-towers and bars.

BTW-just installed it today and went for a 75 mile test drive then took these photos:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
I'm looking (HARD) at a basket right now (for my 2009 with side rails) and here is what I'm thinking about:

Yakima Load Warrior basket, Yakima Load Warrior stretch net, Yakima locking brackets, Thule 450R rapid Crossroad feet, Thule RB47 rapid load bars and Thule 544 lock cores.

The reason for the Load Warrior and not the Mega Load Warrior is that I'm trying to keep the Sunroof clear and I think if I mount the Load Warrior as far back as I can it won't cover the Sunroof (the Load Warrior is 44" long).

I'm probably going to buy from Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack : bike, ski, kayak, snowboard, cargo.

Unclviny

·
Registered
34 Posts
This roof carrier base (cross bar kit) for the base Forester X appears to be complete. However, the cross-section shape of the cross bars might limit accessory mounting options. It appears that the supplied towers must be attached at four specific roof locations, and this fixed spacing -- especially front-to-rear -- could also limit mounting flexibility.

It appears that the Subaru H/D cargo basket or the regular cargo basket can be attached to the roof carrier base kit. However, it also appears that you'll need a set of the roof carrier base clamps to do so. The cargo baskets appear to be Yakima products, so you may wish to shop around a bit.

H/D cargo basket instructions
Regular cargo basket instructions

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of these kits, so you may want to look for verification of my analysis.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Greetings.

Thank you very much for writing your post. This is exactly what I was trying to research.

The 2014 2.5i 5spd base is a amazing touring car. It's got me second guessing on purchasing a CPO 2009-2012 Forester, or a XV Crosstrek.

The 2014 has 74.7 cubic feet of cargo room! Very impressive. However, she does not have the roof rails. No big deal, I'll will not miss them with that sick amount of stowage capacity. However, I wanted to look into the fixed towers. Your discription and links have me convienced that the tower/fixed (removable) bars are for me, if I ever need them.

Clearly, the advantage to the typical roof rails found on the higher end models allows for more range on attaching containers top side, so the fixed towers limit your options.

I should be fine with just the base tower cross bar fixed kit.

Dig this package that is offered with the 2.5i:
Rugged Package #3 (FYR). Cross bar kit (fixed position), rear bumper cover, luggage area cargo cover (manual gate), splash guards $855
This was from the cars 101 website:

However, when one adds these up on the subaru website when you build a car the prices are:
fixed position: $399... cars101: $434
rear bumper cover: $69.95... cars101: $92
luggage area cargo cover: $169.95... cars101: $182
splash guards: 109.95... cars101: $147
This adds up to $749... cars 101 $855.

If one found a 2.5i 5spd without the Rugged Package #3, could they get the rugged package put on the vehicle right there at the dealership for a good price? Or is the manual labor going to beat you down? I suppose the packages are put own at the car plant.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased the roof carrier base (made by Monte Blanc-branded Subaru) and then the Yakima Load Warrior and Load Warrior Extension. Worked out just fine-barely. The mount spacing for the carrier base is about 1.5 to 2 inches too close together to center the Load Warrior crossbar mounts exactly. Got close enough to hold well-and that is all that matters. I purchased the Subaru carrier base kit from my dealer for $185-way less than Yakima Q-towers and bars.

BTW-just installed it today and went for a 75 mile test drive then took these photos:biggrin:
Thanks for posting these pics. I have a much better understanding for the fixed towers. I also have a better understanding of their pros and cons.

Very nice looking car!

Live Free or Die.

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Splash guards being mudflaps for the wheels?

IMHO, don't go OEM for this as all the dirt/sand gets trapped inside them.

Go for an aftermarket brand like Rally Armor or Gorilla. They look more aggressive and has that sweet rally look.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f94/best-mud-flaps-ever-117421/

You can see what OEM mud flaps do in post #41.
What's going on?

thanks for the reply.

yeah, they are the wheels. The Subaru stock ones are fairly small.

Thanks for the link to the thread!

Live Free or Die

·
Registered
2014 2.5i base Manual
11 Posts

steamloco76,

I just read your post and saw how you installed the LoadWarrior plus extension on your fixed crossbars. I tried the LoadWarrior (w/o extension) but the measurements were off (yakima loadwarrior on fixed crossbars ('14 forester) - Imgur). I then thought getting the larger MegaWarrior would help but it was just not exact for the 32" center-to-center spread of the crossbars. I ended up returning both cargo baskets.

With your install, aren't you connecting the extension piece of the basket to the crossbars? I thought the instructions said you shouldn't do this. Anyway, I just wanted to know how it's held up on trips, etc.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts