Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post this here so anyone who seeks the same thing I did may find a quick resolution.

I've recently moved my spare to my roof rack - I have a Curt-ish 3piece. Unfortunately, all the solutions I could find were either $100+ or just to use a ratchet strap.

SO! I got to wandering around my local Lowe's tonight and here's what I came up with...

Materials:
  • 1x 3/8"x10.5" Turnbuckle
  • 1x 3/8" Nylock Nut
  • 1x 3/8" Split Washer

1. I threaded the hook end of the turnbuckle all the way off, then cranked the nylock nut down to the end of its threads, follwed by the lock washer.
  2. I then threaded the hook end back into the turnbuckle body and used wrenches (borrowed some from the store) to crank the hook end tight to the body. This makes it so the hook end doesn't unthread when the contraption is tightened down later.
  3. I unthreaded the eye end of the turnbuckle and fitted it throug the hole of the cup thingy from the factory spare mounting solution. I then threaded the eye end back into the turnbuckle body.
  4. With the spare on the roof rack, I slotted the whole contraption down through the center hole of the wheel, and hooked the hook end on one of the horizontal bars of the rack. Then I tightened the eye end down (reverse thread) until tight. I wiggled the spare around a bunch till it found center and made sure the whole thing was tight.
  5. VOILA! Super janky (but super cheap) spare tie-down complete!

Whole contraption cost me less than $5. I'll be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't back itself out, and I'll update if I run into any issues.

I also now realize I probably could have used a threaded hook and nut off McMaster Carr or something, but this is what I found in the moment, and it seems to be working great so far.

Hope this helps someone like me!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
447 Posts
I really like that idea, very resourceful!

Unfortunately, we have to schlep our spare in and out of the cargo area when we have the sleeping platform installed in our Forester. Not a lot of room on the roof with a 16 cubic foot cargo box up there either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts