Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester X manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2003 forester X, with stock cross bars. Does anyone know where I could purchase a kayak rack, and ski/snowboard rack that would mount right to the factor cross bars at a fair price? I dont need OEM or Thule, just something that will work.

or point me to the correct thread, I may have failed to find it on my own!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for the start, looks like kayak mount need special additional mounting equipment as well. have you tried the ski mount by any chance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I, will likely carry 2 kayaks, so no foam blocks.

And sadly that link didn't work.

Thanks for all the input so far!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
16 Posts
I also recently purchased a 2015 Forester and added the flat factory cross members. They are great....make no wind noise, and are easy to install. Now, my problem is trying to find two pairs of kayak carriers that offer a type of clamping system that will be compatible with the cross members' flat design, and that are easy to install/remove. I'm open to suggestions. I've checked the Thule racks, Yakimas, Apontus, etc., and haven't found a clamp design that looks as if it would work.

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
2013 Forester X 5-speed Manual
356 Posts
Smitty - I'm assuming that you'll be mounting them on their sides, as the OEM crossbars probably aren't wide enough to use flat / bottom mounts. Check the mounts in my post above.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Thanks, Thorne. Yes, I am looking for the 45-degree cradle type that you described from the LA Shop. I had seen the clamp as shown in the link, and it appears that it would probably work. Judging from some of the reviews, it appears that I'll probably have to leave the carriers on throughout the kayak season, then remove and store them during the off season. It gets cold in the upper Sierra in Plumas County where the kayaks are used. If it were just one kayak, I would probably just go with a cradle-type carrier, but my wife also has a kayak she uses to fish from. Anyway, I'll check out the mounts.

Thanks again,

Smitty

·
Registered
2013 Forester X 5-speed Manual
356 Posts
I haven't used them, being a canoe / sailboat / rowboat guy, but the price looks right in case they get damaged or stolen. I have the Thule Crossroads on my rig and prefer them to the factory bars (which I also have) == the ends of the crossbars that stick out past the fore-and-aft rails are great for tying / strapping things to. Plus I can squander my money on expensive Thule mounts if so desired... ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts