Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
781 - 800 of 892 Posts
So I have a 2006 forester xt. What bike mounts work with the own cross bars?
Lots of bike trays they are called will work. Overall you need anything that works with oem or aero crossbars... So anything round or square bar specific is a no go... I have two oem Yakima/Subaru branded bike trays with locks for sale if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lots of bike trays they are called will work. Overall you need anything that works with oem or aero crossbars... So anything round or square bar specific is a no go... I have two oem Yakima/Subaru branded bike trays with locks for sale if you're interested.

Are they front loader style or the fork style? I dont like having to take the front wheel off all of the time. I had to do that with the tray on my old car so i am looking to get away from it

Has anyone taken the OEM roof rack off? I dont use it and think car would look much better without it.. Dont want to bring it to dealer.. If anyone has let me know please.
You can take the cross bars off easily. The side rails require dropped the headliner to remove... A lot of work as the whole interior needs to be taken apart for that. You would also need the oe cover pieces to put in their place.

For you guys with baskets and a lift. What do you use to get your gear up on the basket. I was using a 16” folding step stool, now I need something taller and still compact. Any suggestions?
Randomly saw this the other day:
https://gearizm.com/products/utility-step?variant=8231359610935#shopify-product-reviews

I am 6’5” so I don’t really need anything on a regular basis but I’ve thought about getting one for my wife and for maybe a newer taller vehicle some day. My 05 Foz isn’t as tall as the newer models or other SUVs.

Ordered the factory crossbars.

Then found this at WM - for under a hundred bucks - a REESE EXPLORE basket that just "bolts" on.

If you get one - be sure to add the front panel. Without it, the rack/basket sounds like big open tread all-terrains on a rough road...!

* EDIT *

It's now been at least 2 years and a bunch of miles for my roof basket and rack unit. Not a single issue at all. It's been a carrier for my camping gear, canopies and chairs, a load or two of toys for local toy drives and even hosted a giant stuffed teddy "driving" a sleigh for a holiday parade!

OK, maybe one annoyance - the wind fairing covers almost the entire front of the basket and leaves little/no place to hook lighting to the basket... There's just a small bit of bottom bar on the sides... argh.

GingerBear
2014 Forester 2.5i Limited
Marine Blue
Fozzie Balou

Attachments

781 - 800 of 892 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.