Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 817 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
box--rack......rack--box

Not sure how I want to go...

box is more secure and weather proof but need a hitch mount for bikes and cant hold tall items

Rack is unsecured and not weather proof but I can add a bike rack on top to carry gear and bike at same time...and will hold taller items like coolers

Im leaning towards a box and a hitch mounted bike rack...need to research those...do they really impede access to rear hatch when bikes are loaded?
I have a hitch mount back rack as shown below. Mine is a sportworks(no longer made) but they're all very similar. With the bikes loaded, no you cannot open the hatch. However, this particular rack will fold down past horizontal, and I know that with the rearmost bike in place you can open the hatch. I haven't tried that with both bikes in place, yet. It also folds up to vertical for when the bikes come off to get it out of the way. I also have roof trays as shown(rackage content), as I sometimes have occasion to carry 3-4 bikes. I am thinking of getting a basket of some sort to mount to the crossbars, and then put the bike trays on top of that. With four people, I don't know if there'd be enough room behind the rear seats for all that camping gear, so it'd be good to get some of that stuff up top and out of the way.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Im looking to get something on mine also i want it for my fishing rods for went i go to save having to stick them in the back on the fozzie.

Can anyone suggest anything or anywhere to look over in the uk
I'm not a fisherman, but hopefully someone will have an idea! The only things I've seen around here are homemade gettups with PVC piping...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love how huge the wheels look/how small the frame looks. I want a 29er so bad. Actually, I want one of every bike, and I will someday!
Actually, being that I'm 6'6", the frame and wheels look quite proportional. You can't really tell it's a 29er until you're close enough to recognize the wheels really are bigger.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome !

rackage:

It's kind of odd to see green... there's about 5 feet of snow piled up on either side of my driveway now...

^^ with the wheel forks mounted to the roof rack.
I like that Grill you have there - is that a mod ? I haven't noticed any 04/05 foresters with the horizontal bar in the grill - like that look !

If a mod, where do you get that and for how much ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine - well , almost !!

Ski rack and a backet...

My 05 X AT looks exactly like the Red one you have - similar tint and the same OE deflector.
Been thinking about adding a roof basket - always wondered how it'd look on mine - now I can see :).

Another thing - I have a front bumper dent just above the fog lights on the passenger side - the bumper is the same OE black fibre material that you have. Any idea whats the best way to fix it ? Autobodies tell me they can paint it as its granular like - and that the ridges will still show even if they straighten it out (as its not metal).

All help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Where do you get that coleman basket from Craig ?
Also any idea about the price difference between yakima/coleman and an OE subaru basket ?
Costco had the Coleman basket for a steal @ $59, but it looks like they're still sold out online. You can check you local store to see if they have any. More info on the Coleman basket here.

The Yakima Load Warrior is $287 and the Thule MOAB is $323 @ rackoutfitters.com. They have about the best prices that I've seen.

The Subaru heavy duty basket is $239 @ subarugenuineparts.com. It looks exactly like the Yakima Load Warrior. If it's the same basket, that's a great price.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very nice looking - what basket is this ? where did you get it from ?

Nice tint work too. Does FL allow you to have dark tint all around ? GA allows dark in rear but front 2 need to be 35 or lighter.

Question : what is that strip/device just in front of the moonroof ?
A Rola basket. Got it from etrailer.com for $150.

The device thing is the Sirius antenna.

The tint is 17% all the way around. Not exactly legal.

SS

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Gator, oh yes you're gonna like it much better with the extension! I could fit a flock of midgets in mine! :lol:
ORS shipped the extension yesterday. I hope it gets here before the weekend as the Orange and Blue scrimmage game is this Saturday! I have to be able to fit my 2 coolers, 3 chairs and the Washer board games somewhere.

:banana:

41 - 60 of 817 Posts