Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with a roof basket on their Forester? I have the Thule roof bars on my MY10 and I was looking at the Thule roof bag at about $450 but have decided my money might be better spent on a roof basket and then later on cheaper roof bag (cheaper because it doesn't need the support to go straight onto the roof bars). With a roof basket there is also more flexibility with the items that can be secured in it.

Roof Rack city here in Canberra suggested a Rhino roof basket at around $230for which there is a mounting kit for the Thule roof bars. Has anyone had any experience with this product or something similar, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
I have just ordered the Thule Xpedition for my ´10. It looks very good, in my opinion, and knowing the typical Thule quality and fit, I expect it to live up to my expectations.

I´ll post a small review as soon as I have tried it.

M

·
Registered
MY06 Forester XS
110 Posts
Depending on what size the roof basket you are after, prices will vary.

I bought a roof basket for $99 at Repco (on sale, normal price $199) and a roof bag for $30 at SuperCheap auto last year, both work fine - does the jobs.

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with a roof basket on their Forester? I have the Thule roof bars on my MY10 and I was looking at the Thule roof bag at about $450 but have decided my money might be better spent on a roof basket and then later on cheaper roof bag (cheaper because it doesn't need the support to go straight onto the roof bars). With a roof basket there is also more flexibility with the items that can be secured in it.

Roof Rack city here in Canberra suggested a Rhino roof basket at around $230for which there is a mounting kit for the Thule roof bars. Has anyone had any experience with this product or something similar, any suggestions?

·
Registered
MY10 Forester X
4 Posts

I got the ProRack WhispBars and a Rhino roof basket. It's great for chucking things up onto when you've got a boot full of pram :icon_rolleyes:. Its got thumb-screw type attachment to its really easy to take off when I don't need it. The only reason I take it off is that the basket does make a bit of noise above 80k. Not too bad, but is is a noticable wind noise. Turn up the music and you can't hear it :Banane17:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, sorry to dig up my own thread but I just got around to buying a Rhino Basket, medium size fitted onto the Subaru supplied Thule Aero Bars.

My wife doesn't think it's a fashion accessory and won't let me keep it on all the time but I think it looks fine haha. It certainly solves our space issues when traveling as the back of the car is full of pram, cot etc.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the load limit of the 09 Forester roof rails are? I have found some US figures that say 175 pounds which is 80kg's. Just wanted to confirm this as I know the models differ between countries.

I plan on playing it safe anyway and only throwing a few bags full of clothes up there at one evenly distributed layer but it would be good to see an official figure.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I remember reading that the load limit is around 200 lbs. safely. It'll probably hold a lot more, but the more weight you put up there, the higher the risk. (not to mention, you have to add the weight of the basket into the load limit).

I'm running a Rola (lower profile) roof basket which is awesome, sleek and doesn't make a lot of noise. I loaded it down with about 185 lbs. of cargo on my last snowboarding trip, and it was up there the majority of my 1500 mile trip, everything worked fine.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XP 5MT
106 Posts
I love the look of your Rola basket, Blue. I've bookmarked it, but unfortunately funds are limited and other projects take priority. That basket with the lights is probably the best looking basket set up out there IMHO.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the Rhino Rack isn't as low profile as the Rola but seeing as my wife won't let me keep it on all the time it doesn't really matter :p

If I had it my way the Forester would look like a mountain rescue vehicle, her way and it would look like a Lexus RX 350, a standard Forester is the compromise LOL.

·
Registered
2000 subaru
1 Posts
I haven't tried installing any subaru roof rack in my car. Maybe that will look good. Post images if you have tried it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts