Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 xt ltd
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a roof bag for a golf trip to South Carolina next month. It's 15 cu.ft., from a company called , oddly enough, roof bag.com

My questions are : whats the max weight you would put in something like this
( sits on the rack and roof ) and, can I put it far enough back to use the sunroof with interfering with the back door ? I could measure, but its - 25 degrees celsius today here.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
i think the cross bars are rated to hold ~100lbs. If you're just putting it on the roof, i'd think you could go a little higher, but I wouldn't push it.

of course, if the weight is distributed across a larger area, then you can probably push it further.

I can't imagine 15 cubic feet of stuff weighing all that much.

as for it fitting with the sunroof... without bag dimensions, there's no way to know. Get off your butt and go measure! :D

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
stevev1 said:
I've ordered a roof bag for a golf trip to South Carolina next month. It's 15 cu.ft., from a company called , oddly enough, roof bag.com

My questions are : whats the max weight you would put in something like this
( sits on the rack and roof ) and, can I put it far enough back to use the sunroof with interfering with the back door ? I could measure, but its - 25 degrees celsius today here.

Sorry to have go at you but what would you do if it got to 40 C as it does in many parts of Australia!

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
From their site:

15 cu ft bag measures: 47"L x 38"W x 12"-18"H.

so, if the sunroof to the hatch seam is less than 47", you're good to go.

Odds are it will fit, but it may be close.

nonetheless... go measure. Have a cup of hot tea afterwards.

·
Registered
88 Posts
blitzoid said:
i think the cross bars are rated to hold ~100lbs. If you're just putting it on the roof, i'd think you could go a little higher, but I wouldn't push it.

of course, if the weight is distributed across a larger area, then you can probably push it further.
It's not clear to me that the roof is designed to hold any weight at all. The 2002 and earlier Forester models have whatchamacallits (rub strips?) on the roof to distribute the weight. The 2003+ models do not. It seems to me that the cross bars are supposed to carry the weight and that's distributed to the rails on the side. Be careful!

-R.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
It's not clear to me that the roof is designed to hold any weight at all.
Ka-ching. In those pictures, the "cross-bar kit" points both to the removeable, adjustable crossbars that we all have and one of those "rub-strips" that my FXT doesn't have (and that I don't think are standard any more).

I think probably those strips are for more than protecting paint -- they probably stiffen the roof in the fore-aft direction as well. Without them, I don't think I'd put anything directly on the roof, not only because of the (delicate) paint but also because of the potential for real disaster.

And even with them, I'd use the cross-bars and some kind of basket or something.

If your roof-bag is designed to sit directly on the roof and is flexible, I'd suggest getting something to span the cross-bars to put it on. HPH

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Okay, I broke out my owner's manual...

Okay, I broke out my owner's manual for closer inspection. It seems to be deliberately vague. The approved procedure is:

For cargo carrying purposes, the roof rail must be used together with a roof crossbar kit and the appropriate carrying attachment.
Note the reference to a "carrying attachment". Not clear what "appropriate" means exactly (does a roof bag qualify?). The manual later gives examples of carrying attachments: bike carrier, ski carrier kayak carrier and cargo basket. This manual is for a 2003 Forester X US model, which does not have the rub strips and I've never seen rub strips as an optional accessory either. Also, the manual says the attachments should be "securely fixed to the crossbars". My interpretation is that you should not put a roof bag directly on the roof, perhaps just my paranoia.

Richard

·
Registered
54 Posts
thought i'd resurrect this thread. i need to pick up my daughter in college and am using a roof bag for bulky beddings etc. (nothing heavy or pointed). one thing i noticed is that the roof rails are closed and you don't have anything to tie the transverse straps onto. i'm going to try just tying them to the crossbars as well. i also think the regular roof basket may be too small to hold this kind of bag...

·
Registered
54 Posts
broke down and got the compact thule. lifetime warranty - can't go wrong with that...

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
jsmith said:
broke down and got the compact thule. lifetime warranty - can't go wrong with that...
jsmith, where did you purchase your thule? I'm thinking of getting a cargo box or bag for an upcoming trip. Any advice on a good shop to purchase one? I'm in central jersey also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
link's in the other thread about the subaru photo. if you want a bag, i'd say get the one Uhaul sells for $35. it's just as good as the name brands IMHO - but you may want a basket rack on top of your roof rack as discussed on this thread....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts