Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Judo tournament in Oregon this weekend and if I got done early enough was going to meet some friends back in Idaho to go camping.

I didn't get done early enough, but decided I had enough energy in me to make the drive. After close to 3 hours of mountain runs, I was about 15mins away from the camp spot. I'm driving the speed limit, but when I come around a corner there are giant drifts of snow in all lanes and my tires are nowhere near OK to be snow plowing. I know the moment I saw the snow I was going to be sliding.

I slid...and kept sliding...getting sideways enough that I knew I wasn't gonna recover...hit the big burm of snow on the side of the road and flipped.

Ended upside down, cockeyed so that my drivers side was buried in the snow. Took me about 20mins to find my boots in the back (was wearing sandals!) then finally got out and waited for a random truck to drive by.

First truck came by after about 30mins and out jumps like 6 HS kids, all decently sized guys. We were able to push the Forester back onto it's wheels, pull me out, and get it started again.

No windows were broken (except my sunroof is cracked) so I hopped back in and found my camp spot!!!!

I wasn't hurt, but my insurance co. is in the process of deciding to whether to write the car off as a total loss. 4 days ago my TXS tbe arrived...good thing I didn't put it on yet, but I better be able to find another Forester if they write it off.

Was a fun weekend!

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
sorry to hear that, but hey, ur alright! thats wht essentially counts the most.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
One more Subaru walkaway success story!

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
makes a good case for having some cold weather gear in the car just in case... which you did since you were headed out for some camping. Glad you came out uninjured, but sorry to hear about the XT getting damaged.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
Glad you're OK.
Total loss for a cracked sunroof?
I guess some pics would help tell the whole story.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
IB "dibs on (fill-in-the-blank parts)".

Was it a quick roll, or a slow and agonizing pitch over that gave you enough to time to think, "oh **** oh **** oh ****!"

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
IB "dibs on (fill-in-the-blank parts)".

Was it a quick roll, or a slow and agonizing pitch over that gave you enough to time to think, "oh **** oh **** oh ****!"
Sounds like the slow agonizing type to me.

That sucks man, glad your OK though!

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha, Yeah, I'm fine. Was very chill about the whole thing. Saw it coming and was able to "relax" through the tumble.

I was going to take pics, but they were pretty unexciting. All 4 doors dented, front fenders dented, hood dented, and roof banged up where bike rack squashed it. Shouldn't be a total loss. Hopefully I can be resourceful about getting repairs. :)

I didn't win my tourney, either. haha. It was my first in almsot a decade. Won my first match, lost second, and DQ'd myself in the 3rd. Good enough for a refresher.

·
Registered
1997 Legacy GT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if insurance decides to give it back I"ll take some photos.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Glad you are okay. You have a great attitude regarding the whole incident.
Hope the insurance and everything works out for ya.

Confucius say: "Man who wear sandals in snow storm gets cold feet"

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Did you do a Judo roll? :)
I used to compete as a kid. Awesome sport.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts