Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently flattened the battery on my 2008 Forester. I managed to push start it, and apart from the few warnings flashing red for a day there seemed to be no ill effects. When I told my friends about this, they all said that I should never push/roll start a Forester as it would damage the diffs.
Is this true?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Not sure on damaging the diffs. Roll starting usually is hard on the drivetrain regardless, but as long as you're not doing it daily, you should be fine.

As for the warning lights, it's normal when the battery is really low (or dead) while driving. I was getting sporadic warning lights while driving and thought it was major, and when I turned the car off, the battery was just completely dead. New battery and everything was good again.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
^Agreed. Roll starting is ok but not something that should be repeated often. Just don't try it on a car with a AT.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Use a higher gear like 3rd or 4th (NEVER 1st or 2nd) - but if it doesnt start right off, you will may load the cats and damage them (depending on how the FI and Ignition is reacting) It wont hurt the diffs or CV joints - the car takes MUCH higher shockloads in normal driving than bump starting. Surprised this would be needed on a newish vehicle! These fOZ dont have BAT run-down protection?!?!!!

·
Registered
2008 Forester XS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have push started several 4x4 pick-ups before without any problems, so I did not worry until my friend got uptight. Still do not know where he got the idea from tho!
Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts