Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us know you're ok.

12 dead, 31 wounded. The shooter who was killed was a Major and was a mental health professional.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
Quote from the news coverage:
"Another young woman who was shot didn't even realize she'd been shot. She took off her blouse and used it to put a tourniquet on another soldier's leg. And then finally, when she was finished, she looked down at her own hip and saw that she had been shot."​

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
Shooter survived. The psychiatrist. My wife, who is going for her MA in counselling, rolled her eyes, and said "Great. Now soldiers won't trust the people who can help them."

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
This story from the London Telegraph (Registration might be required.) is one of the scariest ones I've seen regarding the shooter's apparent intentions.

It is distressing that only one of his fellow officers could get up the guts to report this behavior. Others were afraid of appearing to be discriminatory.

Freedom of speech is a difficult balancing act.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if they would have reported it, the military never listens in these situations.

My friend's ex shot a friend having a flashback after her telling his command over and over something was wrong. Another friend's DH attempting suicide multiple times and attacked her over a 6 mo period with his command saying he'd be fine. An AF man here shot himself and his two kids. His neighbors were terrified of him, the mom had taken the kids and ran due to his behavior, and the command did nothing. I could go on and on and on and on... Oh and their pre and post deployment screenings are a joke. My husband went through one and said the counselor was dumber than an orange. He had mild PTSD and they didn't find anything wrong even after he had hurled a chair at a contractor while deployed.

·
Registered
2009 XT
274 Posts
Its a shame what happened. The military will never listen even after this. I can tell you that the 7 days that they have to go through the screening after the deployment dont do anything. its pointless. PTSD dont really set in until 4-6 months after they come home. my friend has been out for almost a year and still has it. Yet again he was blown up over there. And the screenings they have before they go over there is even more of a joke. But it really hit home even though its not my post its still hard to see a soldier turn on their own.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7 days? The AF here sits them down for 15 minutes and just asks "do you have PTSD?" and then lets them loose. The one when they leave is 'do you feel mentally prepared for this deployment?" Even if they say no and have a legit reason, they send them anyways with a 'well I guess you'll have to get over it then."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts